March 28, 2024, 06:30:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Wanting to become a chemist-- after receiving unrelated degree  (Read 1836 times)

Offline boba tea

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Wanting to become a chemist-- after receiving unrelated degree
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
Greetings: I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum.  :)  I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I have a B.A. in the humanities and M.A. in secondary education. However, long story short, I am incredibly unhappy with my job, and after speaking to others in an effort to figure out what career really "clicked" with me, I realized that working in a laboratory environment is something I'd love. I spoke with several cosmetic chemists and felt connected to that line of work in particular-- but of course, I need a degree in chemistry (or chem e, according to one woman I spoke with). I have applied to several schools in the area and am playing the waiting game.

So, my question is this: is going back to school in an effort to seek a second bachelor's degree worth it, or will a B.S. in chemistry be rendered useless? i.e., will my "late start" in the industry be seen as a detriment? I have a few friends and family members who seem to think that I won't find a job because I'll be 28 by the time I receive my chemistry degree.

I am reaching out to others who work in the industry with this same question, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask the lovely people here. Thanks so much for any help or advice. Happy New Year.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Wanting to become a chemist-- after receiving unrelated degree
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
Are you in the United States?

Offline boba tea

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »
Are you in the United States?

Yes, I am.

Offline Zalzul

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Pharmacy student
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
For what it's worth, at 28 you'd still be considered in your prime as a professional athlete.  Furthermore, there are a lot of good things to be said for being a non-"traditional" student and many would even consider it to be an asset.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:23:53 PM by Zalzul »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:08:01 PM »
Do you already have any college level science and/or chemistry course work during previous degrees? Did you have high school chemistry?

Sponsored Links