General Forums > Generic Discussion

Storing Acetone and Styrofoam Plastic

(1/2) > >>

devcybiko:
I want to dispose of our styrofoam by keeping a can of acetone in the shed and dissolving any old styrofoam in the can.

Are there things I should be wary of? I've read that acetone is highly flammable and even the vapors can flash back.

I've seen a number of YouTube videos of people dissolving styrofoam into acetone and even one that kept the stuff for 6 months with no ill effects.

Any advice is welcome.

wildfyr:
Yes this combination is quite flammable, it should be safe as long as you ground it against static and don't do anything stupod

devcybiko:
Thanks. Unfortunately I'm a Software Engineer, not a Chemical Engineer, so I don't even know what might be stupid.

Also, I've read about Limonene/Lemonene as an alternative to acetone for dissolving styrofoam.

Any advice on them is also welcome.

wildfyr:
Nearly as flammable

Borek:

--- Quote from: devcybiko on January 07, 2019, 09:11:42 PM ---I want to dispose of our styrofoam by keeping a can of acetone in the shed and dissolving any old styrofoam in the can.
--- End quote ---

That hardly counts as disposal - what are you going to do with the solution? It is even worse than just solid styrofoam.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version