May 07, 2024, 05:30:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Kinetic Molecular Theory  (Read 3768 times)

Offline bobbysgirl

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Kinetic Molecular Theory
« on: March 30, 2008, 01:16:40 PM »
Hi,
I need some help. I answered a question in class and thought I knew the answer. I didn't. My instructor has asked a question I need to find the answer to. I have been looking for 4 days and cannot seem to understand. Okay...here it is.
The class was asked to find out how the kinetic molecular theory relates to gases on the molecular level. We were then to make an analogy for the theory to the macroscopic world and they differ.

My analogy was an ice cream maker. Because of the temperature and pressure when making ice cream, I felt this was a good analogy. However, I guess I was wrong.
My instructor asked me how did it fit in with the theory as it applied to gasses and which gasses are involved especially with regard to freezing?

I know I am probably way off base with my answer (now I know), but does anyone have any ideas how I can maybe answer the questions that were asked of me?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Kinetic Molecular Theory
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 01:42:20 PM »
A good way to start out is by listing out all of the key assumptions of kinetic molecular theory and thinking about whether these are correct.  For example, one assumption of kinetic molecular theory is that all collisions are perfectly elastic.  Is this the case in the macroscopic world?

Sponsored Links