June 02, 2024, 08:37:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: memorable experiments  (Read 3567 times)

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
memorable experiments
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »
What are your more memorable chemical experiments? Reactions you won't soon forget...  ;D

Chemical fragrance:
I did once a reaction in a heated sealed steel autoclave containing, among others, DMSO (CH3SOCH3).
I realised afterwards that during the reaction half of the DMSO reduced into DMS (CH3SCH3).  :o
When I opened the autoclave, a terrible stench overflowed the lab and corridors. It smelled for nearly a week despite all windows opened and fumehoods working...  :-[

Of all reactions I did, that's the one I am never going repeat!!!

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: memorable experiments
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »
Much quieter experiments for me  ;D

Hydrolysis of CuSO4 a few years ago (didn't know much chemistry back then...) got some copper and while trying to dry it, the paper on which i had collected it suddenly caught fire and burnt with a lovely green flame... I enjoyed it a lot!
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: memorable experiments
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »
photo [2+2] cycloaddition with singlet oxygen.  The sensitizer used was Rose Bengal.  The sun lamp naturally caused a lot of heat, so the reaction was cooled with a recirculating ice water bath.  Long story short, the water bath hose got crimped... stopped the recirculation... water heated up... reaction heated up... methanol solvent started boiling and eventually erupted out of the reaction vessel

...spraying a bright pink methanol solution of Rose Bengal all over my hood.  And by all over my hood I mean it went everywhere.  That was 3-4 years ago, and I still have pink spots in corners of my hood.

/shudders.  never again.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links