May 11, 2024, 03:18:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dimethylmercury  (Read 662 times)

Offline everrrushing

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dimethylmercury
« on: April 01, 2024, 03:24:30 PM »
Trying to find how dimethylmercury was originally synthesized. Edward Curtis Franklin discovered it could be made by treating sodium amalgam with methyl iodide. This reaction apparently produces dimethylmercury and sodium iodide. I was wondering if there was more to this reaction than that? Does it require a certain temperature? Does it require a solvent? Is there something that needs done to start the reaction or will sodium amalgam and methyl iodide start reacting upon contact? Nothing I've seen online goes more in depth and I can't find anything describing the exact process. Does anybody here know?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +323/-23
Re: Dimethylmercury
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 04:37:25 PM »
I do not know the answer to your question.  If you are considering working on a synthesis however, let me strongly urge you not to do so.  This is one compound I kind of wish had never been made.

Offline everrrushing

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 04:46:53 PM »
Yeah no thanks on putting myself anywhere near this stuff. I'm just curious what the process was. I've heard about the incident at Dartmouth but that was when she was using the substance in an experiment. I want to know what happened to Franklin's assistance during their making of the chemical that made them die so much more quicker. There's also a news article from last year where a guy allegedly attempted dimethylmercury synthesis at home but had authorities get involved after he accidentally exposed himself to it. He was seemingly using a similar method to Franklin except with dimethyl sulfate instead of methyl iodide. I'm curious as to the whole process and what step may have exposed them to lethal doses.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 05:18:44 PM »
Per forum rules we don't discuss dangerous activities.

There is plenty of other aspects of the compound that are quite safe to discuss, but synthesis details are exactly what falls into "dangerous activities" category.

(at first I locked the thread but then decided to keep it open - just know it can be locked any time; no synthesis details please if you want it to stay open)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links