May 04, 2024, 06:06:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the role of battery in a electrolytic cell?  (Read 18748 times)

Offline o1ocups

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is the role of battery in a electrolytic cell?
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:53:58 PM »
I understand that the main purpose of an electrolytic cell is to make a nonspontaneous reaction occur using electricty, and usually the battery provides that electricity. I know that you connect the positive terminal of the battery to the anode and the negative terminal of the battery to the cathode.

So is the battery basically sucking the electrons from the anode, and delivering those exact same electrons to the cathode? Or does the battery actually provide the electrons to the cathode? If the battery is just transferring the electrons how does it do that?

I also have some questions about salt bridge and assigning signs to the anode and the cathode that I described here under the main post: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=32635.0

Thank you!!

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: What is the role of battery in a electrolytic cell?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »
The battery provides the source of electrons for the cathode, rather than the the anode providing those electrons.  Electrons are then pushed from the cathode back to the anode.

Offline o1ocups

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:06:07 AM »
The battery provides the source of electrons for the cathode, rather than the the anode providing those electrons.

I still don't understand. If the battery provides all the electrons, there would be no loss of electrons in the anode and no oxidation would occur?  ???

Electrons are then pushed from the cathode back to the anode.

Through?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »
So is the battery basically sucking the electrons from the anode, and delivering those exact same electrons to the cathode?

That's about right. Battery pumps electrons from one electrode to another. That means sucking and forcing at the same time.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline o1ocups

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 03:32:25 AM »
So the battery itself doesn't provide any electrons to the cathode, right?

Can you please help me further understand the process of electrolysis?
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=32642.0

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »
Have you taken physics?  Think of a battery as a source of voltage, not a source of electrons.

Offline o1ocups

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »
Have you taken physics?  Think of a battery as a source of voltage, not a source of electrons.

Yeah I have decided that from now on I will think "charge" instead of "electrons" I think that'll make more sense.

I thought the electrical current in terms of electrons because my textbook makes a big deal about how electrical current is actually flow of electrons.

btw I took physics last year but forgot everything (probably didn't learn anything in the first place  :P)

Sponsored Links