May 05, 2024, 07:35:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do non-polar reagents start chemical reactions?  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Denu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
How do non-polar reagents start chemical reactions?
« on: April 22, 2011, 09:41:40 AM »
I learned a few months ago that chemical reactions are started when one molecule attacks the dipole of another molecule. This causes polar reagents to be very reactive. What I don't understand, however, is how do non-polar reagents participate in chemical reactions? They don't have dipoles, and they should be stable. Dipoles of other reagents shouldn't affect the molecules of the non-polar reagent. The same problem arises when I look at solubility. Substances dissolve when an ionic compound dissociates, or a polar compound arranges itself according to the dipoles in a solvent, such as, say water. Well, OK, the dipoles of covalent molecules causes them to be soluble in water. What about non-polar substances like Oxygen gas and such? Why do they dissolve in water?

I also learned that non-polar substances dissolve in non-polar solvents. How does this happen? Is there another possibility of a substance dissolving besides it fulfilling the condition that it has a dipole? Because I know the dipole case won't work with non-polar substances.

I'm sorry if the question(s) was/were confusing. I was confused while writing it myself, and if you people somehow want me to elaborate, I'd be glad to. These questions have been eating my mind in Chemistry, and I can't seem to progress properly without getting some answers.

Thank-you for your time.

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: How do non-polar reagents start chemical reactions?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »
concerning dissolution: If the solute has a strong interaction with the solvent, then the solute will dissolve.

This interaction can indeed be ionic (salts), dipole, H-bride bonding, complexation, etc.

In the case of a non-polar solute dissolving in a polar solvent (such as your mentioned oxygen): the solute does not dissolve very well at all. Contrary to belief, oxygen does not dissolve in water very well.

In the non-polar solvent/solute case, the intermolecular forces between the non-polar compounds are enough to break up the very weak dipole interactions between the solute's own molecules, and so they dissolute.

Sponsored Links