May 20, 2024, 12:57:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: recrystallization diamide product contaminated with triphenylphosphine oxide...  (Read 7743 times)

Offline cyanide

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
i want to recrystallize my macrocyclic diamide product contaminated with triphenylphosphine oxide...the problem is i dont have the right solvent for the recrystallization...can you suggest guyz....thank you and more power to this forum
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:28:03 PM by Mitch »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: recrystallization
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:34 PM »
Can't you use a column to separate out the TPO from the diamide first?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline kiwi

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-0
a good way to get most of the TPPO out is to dissolve the crude in a minimum of dichloromethane, then add that dripwise to stirred hexane, the TPPO crashes out, filter, vac down. Repeat if you want, or throw it on a column to polish the last away. But obviously if your compound is too polar, this workup can be bad.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
TPPO is one of the hardest suckers to remove in general. Plus, it sticks to gc columns, so you can't trust their results with respect to that compound. Often, if it doesn't interfere with the next step I just go ahead and leave it in as an impurity.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline cyanide

hi mitch...so you mean no other means of removing completely the TPO as a contaminant?....how about recrystallization?can this be helpful in removing TPO from my procudct?...is TPO soluble in ether?..i was thinking of dissolving my sample in ether, but im not sure if TPO is soluble in it, co'z Macrocyclic diamdie i think is not soluble in it?am i correct? thanx

Offline mikkoel

• Very New Member
From memory TPPO is insoluble in ether and hexane. What is usually done is what kiwi described or trituration with ether or hexane. TPPO should crash out and you can filter it off.

Offline CEDLIN

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
You could try the reaction again with solid supported triphenyl phosphine.  In my experience this works well and all you have to do is filter off the solid supported TPPO.

Sponsored Links