May 10, 2024, 12:29:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I'm Stuck on Something Rather Basic That I Should Know  (Read 3407 times)

Offline getfirefox

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I'm Stuck on Something Rather Basic That I Should Know
« on: October 05, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
Hi guys. I was just wondering if someone could help me out by maybe going through this example with me. My problem is to do with Chemical Formulae.

I am comfortable with the idea of n = mass (g) / Ar and have been using it to work out formula for questions such as "Calculate the formulae of the compounds which contain only the elements shown. 2.0g of hydrogen and 16.0g of oxygen" without any problem.

But, I am stuck on this one. Anyone know how I'd go about solving it?

"What is the empirical formulae of C3H6."

I know the answer is CH2, (I looked up the answer) but I have no idea how to get it.

Can anyone explain? Thanks!

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: I'm Stuck on Something Rather Basic That I Should Know
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
hey getfirefox,

empirical formula is the simplest relative ratio of elements in a compound.

"What is the empirical formulae of C3H6."

You have to assume C3H6 is molecular formula which represents the actual ratio of elements in a compound. So, its empirical formula is the simplest ratio which is CH2.

It's the same as C6H6(molecular formula), therefore the empirical is CH. Note the ratio is an integer.

No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline getfirefox

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »
Can you explain how you worked this out? How exactly did you end up with that answer? Sort of step-by-step.

Thanks for helping.

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »
hey,

you have to understand the definition of empirical and molecular formula first as i have previously defined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_formula

Since they want the empirical formula of C3H6 which is the SIMPLEST RATIO of the ELEMENTS in the COMPOUND,

you get CH2 since (CH2) x 3 = C3H6

It's like, you have 3 blue beans and 9 red beans, whats the ratio of blue to red, 1:3, ye? so 3:9 is like the molecular formula and 1:3 like empirical
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline getfirefox

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »
hey,

you have to understand the definition of empirical and molecular formula first as i have previously defined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_formula

Since they want the empirical formula of C3H6 which is the SIMPLEST RATIO of the ELEMENTS in the COMPOUND,

you get CH2 since (CH2) x 3 = C3H6

It's like, you have 3 blue beans and 9 red beans, whats the ratio of blue to red, 1:3, ye? so 3:9 is like the molecular formula and 1:3 like empirical

Ah. Thanks mate.

I think I see now.

So its just the smallest number I can get by dividing without getting a fraction?

For example,

P4O6 ---> P2O3

Is that correct?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 04:12:45 PM »
Yes. From mass analysis you can find just a molar ratio, so that's all you know before you check molar mass,
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links