May 16, 2024, 01:43:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rippling effect in water  (Read 3141 times)

Offline jmabrye5

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Rippling effect in water
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »
I recently had a issue with my swimming pool.  When the pool guy showed we were not able to see the bottom of the pool because it was a windy day and there were too many ripples on the water.  He went to his truck and picked up some regular dish soap.  He shot a small amount in the pool and the water just laid flat for an extended amount of time allowing us to see the bottom clearly.  I recently discovered another use for this type of reaction and was wondering if anyone could help guide me to the chemical/s that caused this reaction?

Thank you,

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Rippling effect in water
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »
its not a chemical reaction it is a change in the surface tension of the liquid.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:22:42 AM »
Or of the viscosity at the surface?

Offline jmabrye5

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »
I assumed it wasn't a chemical reaction, surface tension was my first thought.  I have found the ingredients in everyday dish soap, but not being a chemist I have no idea what these chemicals are and how they may effect water. I have researched all of the items and still can't figure out which it may be.  any thoughts or other items that may change the surface tension would be helpful.

Thanks,

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
I assumed it wasn't a chemical reaction, surface tension was my first thought.  I have found the ingredients in everyday dish soap, but not being a chemist I have no idea what these chemicals are and how they may effect water. I have researched all of the items and still can't figure out which it may be.  any thoughts or other items that may change the surface tension would be helpful.

Thanks,

From the start of this thread, you may have complicated the phenomena too much in your own mind.  Start with these trivial Wikipedia links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant

And let us know what you still don't understand.  The exact chemical really isn't needed to understand the phenomena.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jmabrye5

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 11:39:46 PM »
Thank you for the Wikipedia links.  I guess my questions are:

Am I increasing or decreasing surface tension by adding the dish soap?
What other items can I put in the water to duplicate this effect?

Sponsored Links