May 20, 2024, 10:23:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: My solid Sodium Nitrite has recently changed pH.  (Read 6610 times)

Offline buffer maker

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
My solid Sodium Nitrite has recently changed pH.
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:10:24 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have been using powdered sodium nitrite (>99.0% pure) for over a year now. I use between 0.2-1 M in 2 M guanidine thiocyanate. Until recently the pH has been between pH 7.3-8.5 (I buffer the guanidine with phosphate). Now the pH is 9.0 and higher, depending on the amount I add. The sodium nitrite appears to have absorbed some water (it is developing clumps) but has not changed color. My question is: why would this effect the pH?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Thanks!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: My solid Sodium Nitrite has recently changed pH.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:37:24 PM »
Sodium nitrate should be stable, even when wet.  That is, I don't expect it's decomposed into something that is now alkaline.  More likely there is another source for your pH difference.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »
I think the explanation is simple.  You are weighing wet sodium nitrite and assuming it is dry.  Therefore your sodium nitrite mass is really less than what you assume you are putting in.  If you find a way to quantify the percentage of sodium nitrite per gram of your wet sodium nitrite then it should still be fine to use.  Basically your buffer is off because you are putting in an unknown lesser amount of sodium nitrite.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1802/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
Basically your buffer is off because you are putting in an unknown lesser amount of sodium nitrite.

Nitrite is a base, so lesser aomunt should lower pH, not push it up. Or am I missing something?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:22:38 PM »
Right, but by adding water to the buffer the concentration of [H+] should decrease resulting in higher pH.  I really don't know, just trying to make sense of it all.  It would be nice if Buffer Maker posted a solution prep.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline buffer maker

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »
Formula I use:

4 M guanidine thiocyanate
0.4 M sodium nitrite
20 mM sodium phosphate
DI water

Thanks again for your *delete me*

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 07:26:35 PM »
Do you adjust the pH with conc. acid or base?  Or has the formula you provided always produced the correct pH? 

None of your components is the conjugate acid or base of the other, so it isn't really a buffer. 

Furthermore, any one of your components -- including and especially your DI water, may be contaminated, and be the source of your pH problem.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links