May 20, 2024, 12:51:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Distillation of phenyl-salicylate  (Read 11053 times)

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
Distillation of phenyl-salicylate
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »
In a balloon (V=100ml), 2.5g of phenyl-salicylate was mixed with 15ml of 10% NaOH. The balloon was connected with a cooler, and the content was reflucted on a sand bath for 1.5h. Through the cooled mixture, CO2 was passed until saturation. Then the content was distillated, and 300ml of solution was collected (with water vapors are distillated only substances that make a two-phase liquid-liquid system with it). What organic compound was in the distillate and what compound left in the vessel?

NaOH causes the ester to hydrolyse, I suppose that CO2 reacts with non-reacted NaOH. Now the part in the brackets confuses me. Explanation needed  ???.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +175/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Distillation of phenyl-salicylate
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
Phenol will go over together with water. Salicylate will be left

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:41:12 PM »
Thanks, but I need a full explanation why is it so? You mean salicylic acid will left?

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:37 PM »
Do you know what an azeotrope is?
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
In a balloon (V=100ml), 2.5g of phenyl-salicylate was mixed with 15ml of 10% NaOH. The balloon was connected with a cooler, and the content was reflucted on a sand bath for 1.5h. Through the cooled mixture, CO2 was passed until saturation. Then the content was distillated, and 300ml of solution was collected (with water vapors are distillated only substances that make a two-phase liquid-liquid system with it). What organic compound was in the distillate and what compound left in the vessel?

NaOH causes the ester to hydrolyse, I suppose that CO2 reacts with non-reacted NaOH. Now the part in the brackets confuses me. Explanation needed  ???.

It's a steam distillation, the phenol distills over with the water.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:07:06 AM »
But why the phenol, why not the salicylic acid?
Azeotrope-I read in wikkipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope), but I don't understand completely the definition, this part: "This happens because, when an azeotrope is boiled, the vapor it produces has proportionate constituents as the original mixture."

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 06:34:16 AM »
Azeotrope-I read in wikkipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope), but I don't understand completely the definition, this part: "This happens because, when an azeotrope is boiled, the vapor it produces has proportionate constituents as the original mixture."

It is not an azeotrope it is a steam distillation. Phenol is volatile in steam, salicylic  acid not.
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:42:49 AM »
I would imagine some salicylic acid could co-distill. However, you need to rethink the procedure. Is salicylic acid present?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:10:44 AM »

It is not an azeotrope it is a steam distillation. Phenol is volatile in steam, salicylic  acid not.

That is because phenol has lower boiling point, right?
I would imagine some salicylic acid could co-distill. However, you need to rethink the procedure. Is salicylic acid present?
Now, when I look at the answer I see in the vessel left the salicylic acid skeleton without the oxygen atoms. What happened then with salicylic acid?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:21:21 AM »
It is not an azeotrope it is a steam distillation. Phenol is volatile in steam, salicylic  acid not.

Now, when I look at the answer I see in the vessel left the salicylic acid skeleton without the oxygen atoms. What happened then with salicylic acid?
[/quote]

It formed the sodium salt by the reaction with NaOH?

for steam distillation see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_distillation
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 08:09:32 AM »
It is not an azeotrope it is a steam distillation. Phenol is volatile in steam, salicylic  acid not.

Just reiterate the point of the steam distillation of salicylic acid and to correct my comment. The steam distillation of salicylic acid is noted in this Org Syn procedure, http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/pdfs/CV2P0531.pdf. The reason salicylic acid does not steam distill is because it is not present.

Why was carbon dioxide bubbled in? What happened?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 08:20:18 AM »
"It formed the sodium salt by the reaction with NaOH?"
But the sodium salt should hydrolise fast.
The substance that left in the vessel is the one in the picture. Why?
I thought that CO2 should react with the NaOH that left, but why was it really added?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
"It formed the sodium salt by the reaction with NaOH?"
But the sodium salt should hydrolise fast.
The substance that left in the vessel is the one in the picture. Why?
I thought that CO2 should react with the NaOH that left, but why was it really added?

That must be a mistake, salicylic acid is present as the Na salt.
The CO2 is used to remove any excess NaOH.
If you hydrolyse phenyl salicylate with NaOH you get phenol and salicylic acid sodium salt. You need a stronger acid than CO2 to re-generate the salicylic acid, something like HCl.
NaOH and CO2 gives you sodium carbonate.

p.s. NaOH will make the Na salt of phenol. Now this should be re-acidified by CO2 to give phenol. Sorry I forgot that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:04:47 AM by discodermolide »
My Research History

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »
"If you hydrolyse phenyl salicylate with NaOH you get phenol and salicylic acid sodium salt. You need a stronger acid than CO2 to re-generate the salicylic acid, something like HCl."
You are right, I checked the pKa of salicylic acid and it is an almost strong one, so the conjugate base is very weak, meaning that water isn't able to donate its proton to it easily.

I got the following questions now that I can't understand:
1.On the wikkipedia link you gave is said that a mixture of  bromobenzene and water boils on a lower temperature that those two separately. What effect causes this?
2.If NaOH was added to phenyl-salicylate, there should be Na-phenolate present, too, but it is a strong base so it hydrolises rapidly. Is this correct?
3.The compound in the picture I gave is in the answer the substance that left in the vessel. Are the oxygen atoms missing because of an error (in typing), or that substance was really made in the process?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »
"If you hydrolyse phenyl salicylate with NaOH you get phenol and salicylic acid sodium salt. You need a stronger acid than CO2 to re-generate the salicylic acid, something like HCl."
You are right, I checked the pKa of salicylic acid and it is an almost strong one, so the conjugate base is very weak, meaning that water isn't able to donate its proton to it easily.

I got the following questions now that I can't understand:
1.On the wikkipedia link you gave is said that a mixture of  bromobenzene and water boils on a lower temperature that those two separately. What effect causes this?
2.If NaOH was added to phenyl-salicylate, there should be Na-phenolate present, too, but it is a strong base so it hydrolises rapidly. Is this correct?
3.The compound in the picture I gave is in the answer the substance that left in the vessel. Are the oxygen atoms missing because of an error (in typing), or that substance was really made in the process?

Number 1: No idea but I'll try and find out.
Number 2: I just corrected my post, answering this
Number 3: Yes, the oxygen atoms are missing.
My Research History

Sponsored Links