Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

Miscibility and Mixtures

(1/1)

Sis290025:
In class, we looked at three different mixures to illustrate the concept of miscibility:

a. acetone and water
b. hexane and water
c. hexane and acetone

For a, acetone was shown to be miscible in water (two phases were spotted even though both substances had almost the same color), but, for b, hexane was immiscible in water. As I looked at the hexane and acetone mixture, I have no idea what happened. Is hexane miscible in acetone? [It looked like they combined (physically?) because I was left with a clear (homogeneous?) mixture in the test tube.]

Another matter that I am confused about is whether or not these mixtures undergo chemical changes. Hexane and water do not "mix" at all, so no chemical change occurs? For acetone/hexane and water/acetone mixtures, how do I tell if a physical or chemical (such as something new is created) change transpires?

Any help is appreciated.    

Sis290025:
Since nothing new forms (to the naked eye, in this case), I have decided that the mixtures are physical changes. Is my reasoning correct? Both b and c are homogeneous?

Thanks for any replies.

Demotivator:
you mean a and c are homogeneous (miscible).
Yes they are physical changes.

Mixing can produce a chemical change in some cases and only an analysis can provide a certain answer if the change is too subtle for the senses to detect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version