May 11, 2024, 08:03:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fluoride Bad for Teeth/Health?  (Read 5086 times)

Offline NathanielZhu

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Fluoride Bad for Teeth/Health?
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:33:20 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on the chemistry explained in this article?

https://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/saveteeth.htm

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Fluoride Bad for Teeth/Health?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:15:44 AM »
I have plenty of thoughts, but I can't post them without breaking forum rules. Plenty of logical fallacies and invalid conclusions.

(ref 9) We know that bacteria have nothing to do with loss of enamel. Witness the billions of animal and human remains in the earth which have lost all the flesh and are reduced to tooth enamel and bones. It is quite evident that the teeth have been through bacterial contact but are unaffected. The same with human teeth. They cannot be affected by bacteria, because there is no carbon or hydrogen in enamel, which bacteria subsist on. Study of streptococcic mutans as a source of so-called "decay" is a waste of government funding donated to dental organizations.

Enamel is attacked by acids produced by bacteria that feed on remaining of foods present in the mouth after a meal. He even mentions it on the page, so apparently he is aware of the fact. These bacteria and food remnants are not present around buried remains. If so, how the fact that enamel survives in these conditions allows any conclusions about what is happening in the mouth?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
So the references in the text are to talks the author himself has given. Right.  That's not a reference.  I suppose it is according to some definition of "reference" but not really a peer-reviewed citation, now is it.  There is no need, ever, to ponder the science of someone who says that he'd being hunted down by the establishment.  They're always siimply not worth listening to.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:25:10 AM »
Good for teeth, yes.
Good on ingestion, no.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:08:58 AM »
There is no need, ever, to ponder the science of someone who says that he'd being hunted down by the establishment.  They're always siimply not worth listening to.

Another person to be skeptical of is someone who claims absolute too-good-to-be-true victories:

Following this procedure there will not be one more cavity, one more gingivitis case, or one more fluorosed, brittle, cracked tooth in the world.

Offline benjamin5476

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:22:36 AM »
so,
I'm engaged in pharmaceutical chemical research and development work,Often meet some  problems about this field,Just want to look for other local friends ask for information about it,Wha't your occupation?

Sponsored Links