May 17, 2024, 02:42:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Seeking a chemical solution that reacts to light.  (Read 5933 times)

Offline Hohohobo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Seeking a chemical solution that reacts to light.
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »
Hello,

Unfortunately I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post to due to my ignorance in chemistry.

I'm seeking a chemical solution that could be sprayed onto a photographic negative or a chromogenic photo print that would react when exposed to the light from a photocopier (i.e. the scanning bar).

I'm seeking to damage and destroy the negative or chromogenic print over each repeated pass of the scanning bar (i.e. with each copy that's made). I'm seeking to completely destroy the negative / chromogenic print after 100 - 500 copies, ideally.

I haven't had any exposure to chemistry since my high school classes so please excuse my limited capacity to articulate what I require.

Thank you.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Seeking a chemical solution that reacts to light.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:09:59 AM »
Ah! A self-destroying document?

Off-topic but I think the VHS industry tried something similar to deter movie copying.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:01:58 AM »
Each next copy would be much worse. And you would have to keep the original in the dark.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:59 AM »
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of energy available in light, so things that are light sensitive tend to be unstable to a lot of other processes that occur with time. Some pure compounds that are light sensitive and have no other functionality can be stored in dark bottles under inert atmospheres, but most mixtures and uses will deteriorate even without exposure to light.

You might think in terms of self-developing or instant films. Perhaps backing a transparent negative with an instant film backing layer? The film would be black the first time you exposed it to light, but the next time would be white.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
Can you elaborate on the application? I can see why someone might want to destroy after one copy; or even after a set period of time.

But why destroy after 50-light exposures?

Offline Hohohobo

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
Can you elaborate on the application? I can see why someone might want to destroy after one copy; or even after a set period of time.

It's for an exhibition, exploring conceptual ideas in photography. Specifically the concept of the original vs the copy.

As the original is continuously subjected to light and damaged, each copy it spawns becomes an original. A simulacrum.

I'd hope to present the copies in the gallery space as a timeline of the originals destruction.

Offline kevinkevin

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
  Just throwing this out there, how about silver nitrate?  It's light sensitive and quite stable I believe.  Just expensive. 

Offline Tittywahah

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 03:35:09 AM »

It's for an exhibition, exploring conceptual ideas in photography. Specifically the concept of the original vs the copy.

As the original is continuously subjected to light and damaged, each copy it spawns becomes an original. A simulacrum.

I'd hope to present the copies in the gallery space as a timeline of the originals destruction.

Hi, I have just joined the forum so this is my first post - I am working with light sensitive chemicals all the time.  Taking your concept into consideration as well, would you want to try making several negatives of the same image but reducing each negative's density, and, at the same type employing some of the chemicals used for say Kallitype or Cyanotype or VanDykeBrown?  I have a picture in my head so if you are interested I could explain more.  If you want more info on light sensitive chemicals then I would be happy to help.

Offline Hohohobo

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »

Hi, I have just joined the forum so this is my first post - I am working with light sensitive chemicals all the time.  Taking your concept into consideration as well, would you want to try making several negatives of the same image but reducing each negative's density, and, at the same type employing some of the chemicals used for say Kallitype or Cyanotype or VanDykeBrown?  I have a picture in my head so if you are interested I could explain more.  If you want more info on light sensitive chemicals then I would be happy to help.

Hey,

Would you mind if I email you some more information on the desired process?

If so can you post your email here and I'll send you a note?

Thank you.

Offline Tittywahah

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
Just send me a PM.

Offline Hohohobo

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
Just send me a PM.

For some reason it says I'm not allowed to send PMs.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:48:02 PM »
Just send me a PM.

For some reason it says I'm not allowed to send PMs.

Think you need a minimum number of posts before PMs work. From memory,  # = ~4 so keep trying.

Sponsored Links