May 11, 2024, 08:52:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Exposed to muriatic acid  (Read 4746 times)

Offline benben

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Exposed to muriatic acid
« on: October 07, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
Asked this already on reddit, but someone here might also know about my problem ... So:

My sink got stuck and I bought 30% muriatic acid and poured like 0.5L into it. I then sat for 10 minutes, about 2m away from the sink before I noticed the very unpleasant smell. The kitchen connects to one other room and I have AC running.

I then found this thread: http://www.finishing.com/340/02.shtml
And some people there claiming exposure to this gave them permanent damages and one even says someone they know died.
I went to ER and they took my blood and checked for oxygen levels and they are normal and they said that I am fine. But I do live in a 3rd world country and I am just not 100% that those doctors at ER even knew exactly what to check...

Any ideas how much I could be exposed in this time ? And does it make any sense to further investigate it? thanks in advance

Mod edit: Offensive language removed. Dan
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:10:29 PM by Dan »

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +532/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Exposed to muriatic acid
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
The dangers of inhaling acid fumes are fairly acute. You'd probably know by now if you did some damage; the fact that you're cheerily posting about it on the internet probably means you're OK. HCl has a very low odor detection threshold, and it does smell quite awful. All that said, nobody here is a medical professional qualified to diagnose any condition over the internet. You should trust the medical professionals that evaluate you in person.

All of this is beside the question of why you're dumping concentrated acid down your sink.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline benben

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
The dangers of inhaling acid fumes are fairly acute. You'd probably know by now if you did some damage; the fact that you're cheerily posting about it on the internet probably means you're OK. HCl has a very low odor detection threshold, and it does smell quite awful. All that said, nobody here is a medical professional qualified to diagnose any condition over the internet. You should trust the medical professionals that evaluate you in person.

All of this is beside the question of why you're dumping concentrated acid down your sink.

Thank you for response. According to doctors at ER I am perfectly fine right now, but I do fear some long-term lung type damages or something like that

This was product I was told would unclog the sink :/ they sell it right next to other cleaning products so I didn't even think twice about it before

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +532/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
Well, any chemical drain opener is potentially dangerous. I just don't really like the acid ones at all. And I'd like muriatic (HCl-based) ones even less. Usually you don't even find them in stores here because most people with no chemical training honestly shouldn't be using such hazardous chemicals. Personally I'd stick to the alkaline ones or even better, use mechanical openers.

As for your condition, the forum has a policy of not offering medical advice of any kind. I could tell you I think you'll be OK, but if I did and then you turned out not to be, that'd be a source of liability - and I'd also feel pretty bad about it. :) So! You should really be getting that kind of information from your doctor, who is better equipped to evaluate your health. If you aren't satisfied with the doctors you've already seen, you can always seek a second opinion.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
I then sat for 10 minutes, about 2m away from the sink before I noticed the very unpleasant smell.

My guess is that this is not HCl, but some unpleasant volatiles that were released as the blockage (which is probably rotting organic matter) dispersed/decomposed. If it was HCl, you'd have got a face full of it when you poured it down, not 10 mins later.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline benben

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
thanks!

the strong smell from the acid can still be smelt all over apartment even though acid itself should be long gone ... I assume it's safe to be inside now anyway?

Offline benben

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 07:44:09 PM »
I then sat for 10 minutes, about 2m away from the sink before I noticed the very unpleasant smell.

My guess is that this is not HCl, but some unpleasant volatiles that were released as the blockage (which is probably rotting organic matter) dispersed/decomposed. If it was HCl, you'd have got a face full of it when you poured it down, not 10 mins later.

Smell is almost for sure from HCl as I am still unable to get rid of it, and it's the same in toilet where I used what was left of the bottle. My exposure when pouring it out was minimal and after some 10 hours(and blood test) I feel completely fine, is it possible that I wasn't even hit by fumes from the acid ? As I am reading from others that inhaled  it they had trouble breathing and similar problems.

Right now the only thing that still worries me is some kind of long-term hidden damage :/

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:58:46 AM »
Before using any chemical you should find out about its properties, hazards, health risks etc. This info. can be found on the internet.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 02:56:44 AM »
Well at least drop us a post next month & six months later. So we know that you are still with us.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 04:19:44 AM »
Having read the thread on finishing.com and having used 36%HCl in the past my first thoughts are psychosomatic panic over "chemicals" rather than genuine physical symptoms from exposure to HCl fumes.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
Having read the thread on finishing.com and having used 36%HCl in the past my first thoughts are psychosomatic panic over "chemicals" rather than genuine physical symptoms from exposure to HCl fumes.

My thoughts exactly.

Sponsored Links