May 12, 2024, 04:00:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: acids ending in -ic  (Read 3788 times)

Offline ParticularParticle

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
acids ending in -ic
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:58:42 PM »
hey everyone!

so I'm reading ahead in my textbook and I'm at the nomenclature section. there's a list of changes you need to make to an oxyacid's name when oxygen atoms are added or removed. What I don't understand is that these rules refer to the form of the acid that ends in -ic.

for instance,

H2SO4 is sulfuric acid

the rules say that when you remove an O you get

H2SO3 sulfurous acid

if you remove two, you get

H2SO2 hyposulfurous acid

my question is, how do you determine how many oxygen atoms are in the -ic form of the acid? is it something you need to learn or is there a logic behind it?

Offline heretosucceed

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: acids ending in -ic
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:28:33 AM »
You are given a formulae sheet in highschool which contains complex polyatomic ions. It should contain ions such as SO4(2-). Its respective name is sulphate. Now when naming acids that contain hydrogen and a complex ion (most of the acids), just remember some simple rules.

If naming an acid that contains a polyatomic ion with an -ate ending, change it to -ic.

----------Remember this phrase: I ate something icky.

If naming an acid that contains a polyatomic ion with an -ite ending, change it to -ous.

----------Remember this phrase: The teacher threw sprite on ous.

It may sound corny now, but come exams and diplomas you are going to be very thankful that you remembered and understood such phrases. Trust me they help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: acids ending in -ic
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:22:23 AM »
my question is, how do you determine how many oxygen atoms are in the -ic form of the acid? is it something you need to learn or is there a logic behind it?

This is usually the most stable acid, but as far as I remember other than that - there is no specific rule.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links