May 17, 2024, 10:30:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Three questions for zinc EDTA titration research  (Read 4908 times)

Offline richu_z

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Three questions for zinc EDTA titration research
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:49:56 PM »

Hi, I'm doing a research project in which I am testing the zinc content of soil using EDTA titration with Eriochrome Black T as an indicator. I've been doing a lot of research but, as a high school student, the majority of the information is difficult to understand.

I do have three questions regarding the set up of my experiment:

-Firstly, everything that I read used a liquid as a sample, and since my sample will be soil I was wondering if there is anything special that I would need to do to prepare the soil sample. I was planning on just mixing it with water but my concern was that I would not be able to see the color change of the indicator.

-Secondly, I am going to add zinc to the soil for part of the project and I do not know what type of zinc salt to add. I was thinking maybe zinc oxide?

-And lastly, does anyone know where I can get Eriochrome Black T? I guess it is difficult to store, so no one wants to sell it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Three questions for zinc EDTA titration research
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
Zinc in soil with EDTA? Doesn't sound good. How are you going to separate calcium and magnesium - there will be plenty of both in your samples.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline richu_z

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:43:43 PM »
Oh sorry, I wasn't clear. I was going measure the total content but manipulate it by changing the only the zinc each time.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:38:56 PM »
Zinc oxide is not a salt. OTOH adding salts can change pH of the soil, that's not good.

Eriochrome Black T should not be difficult to get. First of all - you need a very small amount. Second - it is not an expensive chemical, but as far as I know it is not widely used for other purposes. Either you need to check with some lab suppliers, or - and it can be much easier - ask in the college/uni close to you. You need just a pinch.

http://www.titrations.info/EDTA-titration-zinc
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline walterVB

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 03:29:01 PM »
The Zn-content in soils is very low, and measuring this content by titration is not a good idea. You should  better analyse it by atomic absorption or ICP, after dissolution of the soil sample.

Sponsored Links