May 21, 2024, 09:41:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Isolating Cannabis for Medical Research  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Hgibbs12

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Isolating Cannabis for Medical Research
« on: July 09, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Hi All, I'm a Dispensary Agent for one of the state-licensed dispensaries in Colorado and I've been working with a chemist over the last week on isolating and cataloging individual cannabinoids so we can better target our patients and offer them the true medicinal benefits that they need.

I stumbled upon this forum and wanted to get the communities' opinion and open up a discussion on this topic. (I believe the discussion on drugs is acceptable but not the execution of these experiments so to the moderators, I apologize if this is against the rules)

From my understanding, there is a multitude of ways to extract individual compounds but the 2 methods I believe are going to be the most intriguing would be to use a centrifuge at a high enough speed to isolate the compounds from "Shatter" (Extracted Marijuana) or using a rotary evaporator with a short path apparatus to vaporize the THC and re-condense it into a liquid.

If any of you have any experience or knowledge on this, I'd love to get everyone's involvement.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Isolating Cannabis for Medical Research
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »
For starters, you mean the active, tetrahydrocannabinol, isolating cannabis only requires you to identify the plant and pull it up.  I don't know where you'll find information on the isolation of the active.  It exists as many different isomers, as you can see here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid#Phytocannabinoids so the prospect isn't as simple as it might ap[pear.  Furthermore, because of the illegal status of these compounds just about everywhere else (including the nation that happens to surround Colorado,) its hard to find good info.

If someone were interested in learning, I'd suggest they go to school.  A special school.  An online, old-fashioned name for school -- an Ancient Greek word is what I'm pointing at here.  Oh so very subtly.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Isolating Cannabis for Medical Research
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 02:24:49 AM »
I believe the discussion on drugs is acceptable but not the execution of these experiments so to the moderators, I apologize if this is against the rules

There's this line:

Quote from:  Forum Rules
don't discuss drugs nor explosives synthesis or preparation

Topic locked.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links