May 10, 2024, 02:34:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Empirical Formula questions  (Read 6395 times)

Akuma2636

Empirical Formula questions
« on: May 27, 2005, 12:28:14 AM »
I have some questions about Empirical formulas, I was trying to answer some questions in my Chemistry book, but I got really stuck, I'll post the questions, could someone explain how to do them please

1) A 3.40g sample of a titanium compund dissolves in water to produce titanium ions and chloride ions. All the chloride ions in the solution are precipitated by the addition of excess silver nitrate solution and after filtration and drying, 9.47g of the silver chloride was obtained. What is the empirical formula of this chloride of titanium.

Please help, I'm really stuck

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Empirical Formula questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 02:02:22 AM »
first, u got to write an equation. then convert all given data to moles. try out that first, and come back here with your answer.
one learns best by teaching

Akuma2636

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 02:26:09 AM »
Since I'm not very good at equations can I post what I think the equation is, and can you tell me if it is wrong?

I think it may be TiCl4 + 2H2O -> TiO2 + 4HCl = TiO2 + 4HCl + AGNO3 -> AgCl + TiNO3 + H2O

I don't really know, I'm not that good at chemistry

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 02:44:05 AM »
the question did not ask for the reaction, so i think an ionic equation would have served better, as we are only dealing with the titanium compound. the other compounds that are formed are not required, since the question said Ti4+ ions and Cl- ions are formed.(sorry)

TiCl4 --> Ti4+ + Cl-

Cl- + Ag+ --> AgCl

i think u should be able to work it out now
one learns best by teaching

Akuma2636

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 02:52:39 AM »
We haven't done Ionic formulas in class yet, so I didn't know! thanks, that did help though.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 05:42:34 AM »
Forget ionic reactions. Your compound contain probably only chlorine (as chloride anions) and titanium (as cation).
From mass of AgCl you can calculate mass of Cl, the rest of your sample is Ti. Then calculate moles from masses and try to find how many moles of Cl atoms you need fo 1 mole of Ti atoms.
The you can write down your double axchange reaction.
Otherwise you can wride down this reaction as follows
TiClx + xAgNO3 = Ti(NO3)x +  xAgCl
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 05:44:00 AM by AWK »
AWK

Sponsored Links