May 11, 2024, 11:18:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mixing of polycarbonates and dichloromethane.  (Read 8707 times)

Offline johnrciveng

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mixing of polycarbonates and dichloromethane.
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »
Hi all,

I am trying to enclose a small amount of dichloromethane within a clear sealed vial. Glass is the obvious answer but due to the concerns over the safety of dichloromethane I would like to use a strong plastic. I have looked into polycarbonates but it appears that these are dissolved by dichloromethane. Could anyone out there offer any advice???

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-3
  • Surface Modification
Re: Mixing of polycarbonates and dichloromethane.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »
We use DCM in plastic squeeze bottles in the lab made of LDPE, but only for washing, there's probably some leaching into the solvent from the wash bottles. Out of interest, why do you consider a glass vial of DCM to be unsafe?

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:12:36 PM »
I'm thinking shattering.

Offline johnrciveng

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:29:50 AM »
Yes, shattering is the problem.These vials are to be used in a household application and no one wants DCM on the floor with the little Billy and Fido. I need to source something that is durable, clear, heat resistant and will not be dissolved.

Johnny

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Surface Modification
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:07:01 AM »
Your best bet is probably PTFE, or finding another solvent for your "household application".  Out of interest, what do you plan on using it for? There might be a more suitable solvent.  Maybe one that works a little less well than DCM, but is also less toxic.

I just rechecked the bottles in the lab, they're made of LDPE, but they go rather "soft" when they've had chlorinated solvents in them.

Offline johnrciveng

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your help so far. I need to be slightly gazy over my use, I'm sure you understand. But the liquid would need to have a very low boiling point, with a density greater that water (in it's liquid state) and must not be miscable with water.

As for your idea of PTFE, I have had a quick look and have found that it will "creep" over time, I am worried that this would reduce the life span of my product. A vial 110mm long by 10mm wide over a heat source (should know the temperature by the end of the day). Would this distort? Also, is it possible to find clear PTFE.

It does sound like the low density would go too soft for my needs?

Once again, thanks for your interest. I am not a chemist and this is most helpful,

Johnny

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Surface Modification
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:58:17 AM »
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your help so far. I need to be slightly gazy over my use, I'm sure you understand. But the liquid would need to have a very low boiling point, with a density greater that water (in it's liquid state) and must not be miscable with water.

As for your idea of PTFE, I have had a quick look and have found that it will "creep" over time, I am worried that this would reduce the life span of my product. A vial 110mm long by 10mm wide over a heat source (should know the temperature by the end of the day). Would this distort? Also, is it possible to find clear PTFE.

It does sound like the low density would go too soft for my needs?

Once again, thanks for your interest. I am not a chemist and this is most helpful,

Johnny

I'm not sure about the availability of transparent PTFE, most of the stuff we use in the lab is opaque white.  I really think you're going to be struggling with plastic and DCM, especially if you're heating it.

As regards to the solvent, i think you're stuck with dichloromethane from the restrictions you've imposed on it.

Offline jarolhou

• Very New Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »
Hi all,

I am trying to enclose a small amount of dichloromethane within a clear sealed vial. Glass is the obvious answer but due to the concerns over the safety of dichloromethane I would like to use a strong plastic. I have looked into polycarbonates but it appears that these are dissolved by dichloromethane. Could anyone out there offer any advice???
I think PTFE Seal tape is your best choice.

Sponsored Links