May 10, 2024, 03:51:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic vs. Inorganic Chemistry  (Read 16292 times)

Offline k1027iwi

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
  • I'm a mole!
Organic vs. Inorganic Chemistry
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:44:35 AM »
It has been said: "The traditional division between 'organic' chemistry (the chemistry of carbon) and 'inorganic' chemistry (including the chemistry of transition metals) is no longer meaningful.  It all has merged to form ONE science: chemistry"

What are you views about this?

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
Re: Organic vs. Inorganic Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 12:42:07 PM »
In a certain way I think that this is correct...however, I think that there is still a difference between "organic" and "inorganic" chemistry, only that the "border" is not so clearly defined as it used to be. :)

Offline Hunt

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +25/-7
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:45:44 PM »
So what are exactly the differences between Organic and Inorganic Chemistry?

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 07:55:37 PM »
I think organic chemistry is more exclusive than inorganic chemistry.  It organic chemistry the only elements we really deal with is carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen and the halogens (sometimes).  It seems like the other elements play "bit parts", for example Gringard reagents or transition metal catalysts (like Jones reagents mad of chromium). But in inorganic chemistry, I noticed that we look at both tranistion metal complexes and organic reactions.  We learned why we can use transition metals to catalize organic reactions.  We still, in a sense, studied organic chemistry.  It seemed like inorganic chemistry brought the "organic elements" together with the rest of the periodic table.  I was definitely expecting something very different. 

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »
k1027: Where did you get that quote?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline k1027iwi

• I'm a mole!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 12:41:38 AM »
It was a question asked to me by my Inorganic Chemistry professor the other day when we were talking.  It just stuck in my mind, so I thought I'd post it here to see what you guys think of it.  I don't know where my professor came up with the quote though.

Offline k1027iwi

• I'm a mole!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 02:26:12 AM »
I personally think that it is okay for the two to merge as one chemistry.  You see the two types of chemistry acting together in many reactions such as catalysis, oxidation, reduction, hydrogenation, oxymercuration... etc.  It is almost impossible to avoid seeing organic chemistry in inorganic chemistry and vice versa.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 03:39:50 AM »
Looking from another point of view - there are two databases of crystal structures, namely CSD and ICSD (and some other minor databases -  as biomolecules,I mean number of structures!,, metallic and so on).
CSD treats organic compounds as having at least C-H or C-C bonds. The other are inorganic.
AWK

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 03:08:39 PM »
I believe that there is still a major difference between the two. It is completely probable to focus on one "simple" area of chemistry and perhaps slimly to never using the other form. The difference is often noticable between people that struggle with organic chemistry and those that understand completely and love and embrace it. Those that have difficulties with math are also generally tending to lean toward the organic chemist side.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 03:29:11 PM »
It has been said: "The traditional division between 'organic' chemistry (the chemistry of carbon) and 'inorganic' chemistry (including the chemistry of transition metals) is no longer meaningful.  It all has merged to form ONE science: chemistry"

What are you views about this?
organic is entirely different than inorganic chemistry.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

whitewolf_573

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 06:11:09 PM »
I think that , although inorganic chemistry and organic  chemistry are deferent , there are moments , when is better to have knowledges of both .

For example , I'm  very interested in inorganic chemistry, I think (i don't study  chemistry degree, I only know some chemistry  learned in high school ,the learned  in chemistry subject  when i were in biology , and all I read, search,experiment and study as self-taught) that sometimes know organic  can be useful for use as catalyst or other uses ( at this moment I don't remember any)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 04:23:37 AM by whitewolf_573 »

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03:28 PM »
a catalyst isn't quite organic chem either

yes, it is useful to know both but when you get farther down the line you lean toward one or the other

it's a big defining point for chemistry; those who can do organic and those who can do inorganic and those that can't do either

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »
I believe that there is still a major difference between the two. It is completely probable to focus on one "simple" area of chemistry and perhaps slimly to never using the other form. The difference is often noticable between people that struggle with organic chemistry and those that understand completely and love and embrace it. Those that have difficulties with math are also generally tending to lean toward the organic chemist side.
I certainly don't have any problems with math, and I definately prefer organic chemistry. ;D

it's a big defining point for chemistry; those who can do organic and those who can do inorganic and those that can't do either
... and those that can do both! ;D

I would disagree. For example, is this inorganic or organic?

And this?

Here is a quote from my organic chemistry book:
"So where does inorganic chemistry end and organic chemistry begin? The answer is that we don’t know and we don’t care. It is important these days to realize that strict boundaries between traditional disciplines are undesirable and meaningless. Chemistry continues across the old boundaries between organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry on the one side and organic chemistry and biochemistry on the other. Be glad that the boundaries are indistinct as that means the chemistry is all the richer."

I completely agree with this statement!

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:44:50 PM »
I used to do both organic and inorganic synthesis at the same time. I would make organic ligands for synthesising inorganic complexes.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 09:52:41 PM »
I certainly don't have any problems with math, and I definately prefer organic chemistry. ;D

... and those that can do both! ;D

I would disagree. For example, is this inorganic or organic?

And this?

Here is a quote from my organic chemistry book:
"So where does inorganic chemistry end and organic chemistry begin? The answer is that we don’t know and we don’t care. It is important these days to realize that strict boundaries between traditional disciplines are undesirable and meaningless. Chemistry continues across the old boundaries between organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry on the one side and organic chemistry and biochemistry on the other. Be glad that the boundaries are indistinct as that means the chemistry is all the richer."

I completely agree with this statement!

tou che (sp) that is a good point

I used to do both organic and inorganic synthesis at the same time. I would make organic ligands for synthesising inorganic complexes.

i also understand they are both used at the same time in many instances. i'm just merely stating that one tends to focus on one of them and refers back to the other for certain actions

-Your's truly, 2006;

Sponsored Links