May 02, 2024, 01:48:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: question about bonds and polar molecules  (Read 4876 times)

Offline jennielynn_1980

• Mole Snacks: +8/-4
question about bonds and polar molecules
« on: August 10, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »
hi all.

The question I have is why is C20H40 solid at 25 C but C4H8 is a gas?
I know that the basic reason is that because C20H40 has more atoms there are greater forces of attraction within the molecule making it solid at this temp.  HOwever, I can't figure out WHICH forces I am considering.  I think it is van der Waals forces but I am not totally sure about this because I am not totally sure if I am dealing with non-polar molecules.  The other hydrocarbons I have looked at  have carbon atoms surrounded completely by hydrogen atoms.  I this case I am guessing the arrangement would leave two carbons on either end that are NOT bonded to hydrogens.  Would this make it polar or non-polar? 

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Re: question about bonds and polar molecules
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »
Hi
C20H40 either has a double bond or a ring in it someplace (there are dozens of isomers making dozens of possibilites.  Same with C4H8, only it has less isomers.  I think it is just VDW forces here (although there may be polar isomers of C4H8  ;)).  My explanation would be  more atoms, more VDW forces, and the more tightly packed the compund is. 

Offline jennielynn_1980

• Mole Snacks: +8/-4
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 02:38:56 PM »
Okay, thanks.  That was my original thought because we haven't studied hydrocarbons yet.  The chapter I just did was on periodicity and chemical bonding so I don't think I need a complex answer.

Offline skyglow1

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:06:38 AM »
The C-H bond is not very polar, so in anywhere in either molecules there is not much polarity. Van Der Waals are the only forces you are considering ::)

Sponsored Links