May 21, 2024, 06:02:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about an investigation using argentometric titration (Volhard method)  (Read 764 times)

Offline ibdepressed

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi!

I am doing an IB internal assessment on the following topic: How fermentation time affects the chloride ion concentration in kimchi, determined via argentometric titration (using the Volhard method)?

I know that argentometric titration can be used to find the chloride ion concentration. But my personal engagement (and therefore investigation as a whole) would make more sense if I could find the sodium chloride (table salt) concentration.

I have a question: is the chloride ion concentration proportionate or something of that sort to sodium chloride? Like basically can you use the concentration of chloride ion to find the concentration of sodium chloride? Especially in the context of argentometric titration and this investigation?

I know that there are easier ways of finding salt concentration. But I'm not sure if they would be complex enough to gain a high score. I do SL chemistry if that matters. I'll appreciate any assistance I can get. Whether that would be suggesting a new way of going about my topic or correcting me, etc. Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1802/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
is the chloride ion concentration proportionate or something of that sort to sodium chloride?

No. Concentration of every ion is a separate thing. If you prepare a solution by mixing equal volumes of 1M NaNO3 and 1M CaCl2, what is the concentration of Cl-? What is the concentration of NaCl?

They are not completely independent though. Concentration of the Cl- can't be smaller than the concentration of NaCl.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links