May 05, 2024, 03:34:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ethanoic acid volatile  (Read 4978 times)

Offline shirleyisgood

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ethanoic acid volatile
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »
according to the internet, the boiling point of ethanoic acid is over 100oC, then why is it volatile? the boiling pt is quite high~

Offline Ari Ben Canaan

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Re: ethanoic acid volatile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:11:50 AM »
according to the internet, the boiling point of ethanoic acid is over 100oC, then why is it volatile? the boiling pt is quite high~

It actually has a boiling point of around 120 deg. C.

I suspect this is because of the hydrogen bonds it can form between individual molecules. Additionally, it has the ability to make use of induced dipole dipole forces.

I don't understand how you can consider it to be volatile under these circumstances....

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: ethanoic acid volatile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »

You're making a common mistake many people new to chemistry make -- you're conflating boiling point, volatility and perhaps vapor pressure as if they were synonyms, and they're not.  Look here:  http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=50719.0  A similar question came up recently.  Re-visit the definitions, and look around you, at atmospheric humidity -- do we only see water vapor in the air at high temperatures?  That is to say, we do see more at highter temp, but do we see none at all below the boiling point of water?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links