May 21, 2024, 09:35:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What acid should I use for setting the pH of ammonium carbonate buffer?  (Read 10077 times)

Offline postovka

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am trying to make 10 mM ammonium bicarbonate buffer pH 7.0. When I prepare a solution it has a pH of around 7.7. I try to lower pH to 7.0 with 1M phosphoric acid. However when I reach my desired pH it slowly starts to rise again to where it was before.

I am not too good with chemistry and could use any advice you might have. Am I using wrong acid to do this? Or am I doing something else wrong?. Thanks in advance.

Offline Nicolas88

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Re: What acid should I use for setting the pH of ammonium carbonate buffer?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »
try using another acid cause i think Ammonium bicarbonate reacts with sulfates ....maybe this made the problem!  ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1802/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 06:55:16 PM »
As far as I know it doesn't react with sulfates, but even if - there is no sulfates in the solution.

Please don't try to answer each question, especially when you are not sure. Some of your guesses are wrong and they can be misleading.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Nicolas88

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:53:57 AM »
As far as I know it doesn't react with sulfates, but even if - there is no sulfates in the solution.

Please don't try to answer each question, especially when you are not sure. Some of your guesses are wrong and they can be misleading.

thats why i said that it might be the reason! i didnt say its for sure and yes it reacts with sulfates yielding (NH4)2SO4

Sponsored Links