Specialty Chemistry Forums > Other Sciences Question Forum

Mercury Spill

(1/3) > >>

spill:
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I recently had a mercury spill by accidentally breaking a thermometer.  Not knowing the precautions to be taken at the time, I cleaned up not protecting my hands, etc.  ???  My question is how would I know if the jewelery I was wearing is contaminated? Are there any signs to look for in the jewellery?  I was wearing both white and yellow gold.   Thanks for any advice you could give!

Borek:
It is not easy to get poisoned by this amount of mercury in such situation, so don't bother. If your jewelry was amalgamated by mercury it is not dangerous either. Take a look at gold - if it was amalgamated it will have have silver stains (silver in color).

spill:
Thanks for that Borek,

What about white gold?  Will anything show in that?

Borek:
No idea what exactly white gold is - probably some gold/silver alloy? If so, you won't notice anything more than perhaps some dull surface.

constant thinker:
Thermometers don't use mercury anymore. Unless it is an old one. Old as in like 15 years. I forget the exact date they stopped using mercury and switched to alcohol and red dye. You have nothing to worry about probably.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version