May 15, 2024, 06:16:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Saturated Solution: Would adding solid Fe(NO3)3 change the solubility?  (Read 5662 times)

dagr8est

Say you had a saturated solution of Fe(OH)3.  Would adding solid Fe(NO3)3 change the solubility of the solution?

I think no because if the solution is already saturated, how can the solid dissociate into ions?  I'm not sure though.  That is why I'm asking. ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:44:46 PM by Mitch »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Saturated Solution
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »
What is solubility of the solution?

Have you heard about common ion effect?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

dagr8est

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:46:14 PM »
Solubility is the amount of solid that can be dissolved in a given volume of solvent at a given temperature.  Yes, I've learned the common ion effect.

I understand that the solubility will decrease if Fe(NO3)3 can dissociate into ions but the solution is already saturated so how can a solid dissolve to increase the concentration of Fe+3?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 04:27:09 AM »
Solubility is the amount of solid

So it is solubility of the solid (hydroxide in your case), not of the solution :)

I understand that the solubility will decrease if Fe(NO3)3 can dissociate into ions but the solution is already saturated so how can a solid dissolve to increase the concentration of Fe+3?

Apart from the volume changes it doesn't matter whether you add solid salt like Fe(NO3)3 or solution containing this salt. Final equilibrium will be identical.

Note that ypu will get exactly the same effect starting with Fe(NO3)3 solution and adding aolid Fe(OH)3.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links