May 16, 2024, 05:02:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic synthesis  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Hamoona14

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic synthesis
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »
Hi guys,

I am trying to synthesize a compound via  diol desymmetrization reaction. I am going to be using a diol, diisopropylcarbodiimde and a copper box complex. Any ideas for the method!

Thank you :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Organic synthesis
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »
I am trying to synthesize a compound via  diol desymmetrization reaction. I am going to be using a diol, diisopropylcarbodiimde and a copper box complex. Any ideas for the method!

Is your goal to (a) synthesise the compound or (b) develop a new methodology?

If (a), why not use a known method for diol desymmetrisation (there are several already)?
If (b), look at the known methods for diol desymmetrisation and study their experimental procedures.

It's usually just a case of dissolving the reagents and the catalyst in a solvent. You will have identify good conditions experimentally.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Hamoona14

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Thank you Dan,
  I have found method from Evans. as u said just  dissolving reagents but it gives very low yield and sometimes doesn't give me the required product,.so I am looking for different ideas to try.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »
You're not giving enough information for us to help you. Unless you give the details of what you want to achieve (at least answer my first question in post #2), exactly what you have attempted and exactly what is going wrong, we have no data on which to base a sensible suggestion.

I realise you may not be at liberty to discuss these details publicly for IP reasons, but if that is the case then asking on a public forum is probably a waste of time - you should discuss it with your advisor and colleagues at you institution if that is the situation.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links