May 18, 2024, 01:57:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Metal Analysis by ICP-MS  (Read 504 times)

Offline dwiastri01

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Metal Analysis by ICP-MS
« on: January 07, 2024, 03:45:01 AM »
Hi. I'm very new in handling ICP-MS for metal analysis. I would like to know how to conduct a simultaneous way in analyzing multiple-element, despite having interference problems or stability problems. For example, in analyzing mercury (Hg), where this element isn't stable and volatile, hence this can be handle by adding HCl acid. However, if I also wanted to try analyzing the Arsen content, there would be ArCl interference, where this can lower the accuracy of the arsenic measurement. Another example, if I wanted to analyze the lead content, and turns out the standard solution gives a high intensity, then I would dilute the standard solution and also the sample just to analyze the Pb content, the problem is that the dilution factor of the sample is different from other metals that I wanted to analyze, hence there would be 2 times measurement, where this will be a waste of the Argon gas. How do I achieve a simultaneous measurement if I face this type of problems? Thank You

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +532/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Metal Analysis by ICP-MS
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 01:00:48 PM »
Generally, you can't. Often the optimal conditions for one element will be poor for another.  The more elements you are trying to do, the less your chances of a perfect set of conditions for all those them. In such cases, you either have to accept some loss in sensitivity for what you're trying to measure and select the conditions that are best for both elements, or you measure your elements separately using the optimal conditions for each.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links