May 25, 2024, 07:04:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Chemistry lab Help  (Read 3321 times)

Offline tiff8968

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Organic Chemistry lab Help
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
In lab we were doing fermentation of sucrose to get ethanol. Everything was going great (vacuum filtration, simple distillation) until I got to fractional distillation. Ethanol has a boiling point of 77-80 degrees celsius which means start distilling at during that range. Well, my ethanol solution didn't start distilling until it reached 96 degrees celsius. I wasn't the only one who had this problem but almost everyone in the class. My question is what could have caused my ethanol solution to distill at 96 degrees instead of 77-80?? I can't think of anything and I followed all the steps....

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Organic Chemistry lab Help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »
where was the thermometer bulb?  was it at the junction point of the reflux condenser and the distillation arm?  was it in the ethanol solution?  Was it pushed in too far and was it below the junction point?  Was it in the (water/sand/oil) bath?  Was your fractional distillation column too short? 
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline James Newby

• Mole Snacks: +13/-3
Re: Organic Chemistry lab Help
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:08:16 AM »
It could be that the ethanol wasnt pure.  A mixture of ethanol/water would boil at a higher temperature.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/phaseeqia/nonideal.html
4th year undergraduate at the University of Sheffield

Sponsored Links