May 13, 2024, 11:34:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: purifying Ferric Oxide  (Read 6440 times)

Charginchuck

purifying Ferric Oxide
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:06:44 PM »
I was wondering if their is a fairly simple way that i can purify ferric oxide back into Fe and O2.  I am only a high school chem student and dont have any chemicals (other then household goods) at my disposal.  But any suggestions/ methods would be great.

Thanks.

Offline Cupro Chlorous

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
  • I'm a mole!
Re:purifying Ferric Oxide
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 10:48:34 PM »
Well, considering the fact that it is insoluble in water, this might be pretty hard.

Industrially, iron is extracted from its ores, principally Fe2O3.  This is done in a blast furnace at temperatures exceeding 2000oC

So no simple way to do it at home.  Iron is so easy to find around the home though, why would you want to make it yourself?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:13:33 PM »
Thermite :o
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Charginchuck

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 06:20:37 AM »
Well, considering the fact that it is insoluble in water, this might be pretty hard.

Industrially, iron is extracted from its ores, principally Fe2O3.  This is done in a blast furnace at temperatures exceeding 2000oC

So no simple way to do it at home.  Iron is so easy to find around the home though, why would you want to make it yourself?

oh, darn,  I had some old rusty stuff laying around and i thought it would be fun to change it back into pure Iron but if i would need a blast furnace or thermite then i guess its out of the question.  
thanks anyway

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 04:53:52 PM »
Thermite :o

You took my idea. I have to get some one day.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 05:40:52 PM »
Don't buy it... It's more fun to make it.  You can then experiment with different properties and reactions.

Joe

Sponsored Links