May 13, 2024, 09:57:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thickening agent  (Read 2853 times)

Offline RetroNoob

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thickening agent
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:07:07 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a med student working on a basic antiseptic skin preparation, and just wanted some help from folks in the know!  I'm looking for a thickening agent that's as inert as possible at room temperature and non-toxic, while still being easy to wash off with mild soaps.  Also something that's easy available if possible, with similar consistency to glycerine or golden syrup.  I've been reading about edible thickeners like pectin and gelatine, but I'm not sure how reactive they are at room temperatures.  The active ingredients in the preparation are Methylisothiazolinone, Chloromethylisothiazolinone and Benzalkonium chloride.

Thanks in advance!  R

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Thickening agent
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:07:18 PM »
A typical thickener of skin gel preparations is polyacrylic acid, among others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thickening_agent#Cosmetics  For thickening an industrial chemical, fumed or colloidal silica can be use (its also used in foods.)  But there are other options at the above page.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline RetroNoob

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 07:30:23 AM »
Thanks so much!  I'll do some more reading to find out what's easiest to get my hands on - any idea about whether the natural gum are more or less reactive coming from plant or animal sources?

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
Another possibility might be one of the polyethyleneglycols (PEG's), which range from lowish MW (liquids) to very high MW (solids); each is a mixture of MW ranges (see Aldrich Chemicals Catalog).

The white coating on (Gillette Sensor Excel ??) razor blades to give a smoother shave is one of the PEG's and is water soluble.

Sponsored Links