May 15, 2024, 02:12:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stannane oxidation numbers  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Stannane oxidation numbers
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
Are the oxidation numbers of Sn in SnH4 and Bi in BiH3 equal to -4 and -3 respectively? I read somewhere they are hydrides but their names ("stannane" and "bismuthane") seem to suggest they are like methane.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +532/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Stannane oxidation numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »
These assignments are just formal charges and don't necessarily impact nomenclature. What are the electronegativities of carbon, tin and hydrogen?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:58:55 AM »
These assignments are just formal charges and don't necessarily impact nomenclature. What are the electronegativities of carbon, tin and hydrogen?

Ok so according to one source I found, the electronegativities (I don't know relative to what, or on what scale) are given as 2.5 for C, 2.1 for H, 1.8 for Sn and 1.9 for Bi. According to this, the hydride seems a decent bet.

The question was spurred by a Latimer diagram which saw Sn4+  :rarrow: Sn2+  :rarrow: Sn  :rarrow: SnH4 and the equivalent for bismuth, which I suppose also backs up the idea that SnH4 would have +4 oxidation state, and Bi in BiH3 a +3.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +532/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »
Sounds reasonable to me. Just keep in mind that oxidation state implies a completely ionic bond, which may not always be an accurate representation of what's going on.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links