May 09, 2024, 02:22:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NHS can't react with succinic anhydride  (Read 1213 times)

Offline ccyx

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NHS can't react with succinic anhydride
« on: April 01, 2024, 06:27:36 AM »
I tried the following reaction but didn't get any product, HNMR showed no reaction at all.I have found some examples on Reaxys, and tried the same contidions (DCM 25℃), but can't work.I also find some reaction like it (on reaxys) and use DMAP or Et3N as catalyst but got nothing.

I also tried heating or ice bathing conditions, but it didn't work either.

I doubt that they can react and that the product can be stable at room temperature. I also want to know the mechanism in this reaction.

O=C1CCC(O1)=O.O=C2CCC(N2O)=O>>O=C3CCC(N3OC(CCC(O)=O)=O)=O

nmr of products: 1H NMR (300 MHz, DMSO) δ 10.53(s, 1H ), 3.32(s water), 2.90(s, 4H), 2.59(s, 4H). The eq. is NHS:SA = 1:1.

I am a newr in this forum and this is my first topic, i have read the form rules, but i'm not sure if there something wrong . Thank you all for your responses.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: NHS can't react with succinic anhydride
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 11:04:08 AM »

Interesting! Did you run the reaction in the NMR tube? Workup can destroy the product. Have you reference NMR? Did you run the reaction exactly as they did in the Reaxys papers?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +323/-23
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 01:16:06 PM »
Rolnor made a valuable point.  One philosophy of trying new chemistry is to isolate the reaction from the work-up, and from the purification.  In other words, one wants to be certain that the reaction provided the correct crude product first.  Then if the crude product is lost after work-up, one knows where the problem is.  We think that we have lost the product during a column purification in at least one instance.

Offline ccyx

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 09:05:37 PM »

Interesting! Did you run the reaction in the NMR tube? Workup can destroy the product. Have you reference NMR? Did you run the reaction exactly as they did in the Reaxys papers?

No,  I carried out the reaction in a 50 ml round-bottom flask, and then distilled  at 40°C to obtain a white powder. The white powder was then dissolved in DMSO-d6 for proton NMR spectroscopy.I compared the proton NMR spectra of NHS and SA in the database and found that there may be no reaction at all. The chemical shift of the OH group in NHS is around 10.5, while the COOH group should be around 12. In the literature, the reaction is carried out by mixing the reagents in an ice bath and then to room temperature. I did not use an ice bath in my procedure, but other than that, the method was the same.

Offline ccyx

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 09:19:26 PM »
Rolnor made a valuable point.  One philosophy of trying new chemistry is to isolate the reaction from the work-up, and from the purification.  In other words, one wants to be certain that the reaction provided the correct crude product first.  Then if the crude product is lost after work-up, one knows where the problem is.  We think that we have lost the product during a column purification in at least one instance.
I used TLC monitoring with petroleum ether and ethyl acetate(add some HAc) as the developing solvent, but no new spots appeared. At the end of the reaction (after 5 hours), I obtained a solid using a rotary evaporator and performed HNMR analysis without silica gel purification. Therefore, it is highly likely that there was no reaction. If the product had decomposed, it would have likely formed glutaric acid instead of glutaric anhydride, correct?

I have tried this reaction many times.The reaction conditions are below:

SA:NHSSolventCatalystTemperatureReaction TimeResult
1:01DCMNoneRoom TemperatureOvernightNo reaction
1:01DCMNone40°C14 hNo reaction
1:01DCMTEARoom Temperature5 hNo reaction
1:01DCMTEA40°C10 hNo reaction
1:01DCMNone0°C5 hNo reaction
1:01DCMDMAPRoom Temperature5 hNo reaction
1:01THFNoneRoom TemperatureOvernightNo reaction
1:01DMFNoneRoom Temperature5 hNo reaction
1:01DMFDMAP100°C 14 hNo reaction
2:01DCMNoneRoom TemperatureOvernightNo reaction

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 02:43:33 PM »

OK, its surprising. A published procedure normally works. Have you contacted the authors of the paper?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 06:39:15 PM »
https://organicchemistrydata.org/hansreich/resources/nmr/?page=05-hmr-02-delta%2F#05-hmr-02-delta-OH
I was confused by your mentioning glutaric acid, which has 5 carbon atoms.

I may not be understanding which signals you are using to judge whether or not you formed the product, but you mentioned the carboxylic acid and hydroxyl hydrogens.  In my limited experience the chemical shift of a carboxylic acid hydrogen depends on the presence of other exchangeable hydrogens that are present.  That having been said, one of the shifts that you reported above for non-exchangeable hydrogen atoms is consistent with what is reported for succinic anhydride (2.90 ppm in DMSO).  N-hydroxysuccinimide is reported to be 2.79 ppm in D2O, but I am not sure about where it appears in DMSO.  I agree that your NMR data are not consistent with the desired product.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 09:11:35 PM by Babcock_Hall »

Offline ccyx

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 03:04:33 AM »

OK, its surprising. A published procedure normally works. Have you contacted the authors of the paper?

That's a good idea! The literature I found is from a patent that doesn't provide contact information, but I think that I can try searching for the author's email online. I'll try it.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 03:10:20 AM »

OK, patents can actually be nonsense...

Offline ccyx

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 03:18:53 AM »
https://organicchemistrydata.org/hansreich/resources/nmr/?page=05-hmr-02-delta%2F#05-hmr-02-delta-OH

I may not be understanding which signals you are using to judge whether or not you formed the product, but you mentioned the carboxylic acid and hydroxyl hydrogens.  In my limited experience the chemical shift of a carboxylic acid hydrogen depends on the presence of other exchangeable hydrogens that are present.  That having been said, one of the shifts that you reported above for non-exchangeable hydrogen atoms is consistent with what is reported for succinic anhydride (2.90 ppm in DMSO).  N-hydroxysuccinimide is reported to be 2.79 ppm in D2O, but I am not sure about where it appears in DMSO.  I agree that your NMR data are not consistent with the desired product.

It' my fault.The anhydide is succinic anhydide. I use succinic acid as comparison. Its active hydrogen's chemical shift in DMSO-d6 is about 12.5,and the chemical shift of the hydrogen on the methylene group is about 2.5. I think if the reaction succeed, the chemical shift of methylene group may be different.

I am currently attempting to react glutaric acid with NHS using DCC as a catalyst, which should yield a portion of the desired product.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 08:49:55 AM »
This may be a quibble, but DCC is a reactant, as opposed to a catalyst.  DMAP is a possible catalyst.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 09:13:58 AM »
Have you checked the purity of your starting materials? As you say, this reaction is well-precedented in the literature (e.g. i found Anal. Chem. 2015, 87, 21, 11048, where the reagents are sonicated, without any exogenous base required). The reaction (both the anhydride SM and ester product) may be sensitive to moisture: are you drying your DCM?

Can you post NMRs of your starting material and crude reaction mixture? The data from the paper above are in CDCl3, but if you have literature values in DMSO then that's fine too.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 03:11:27 AM »

It' my fault.The anhydide is succinic anhydide. I use succinic acid as comparison. Its active hydrogen's chemical shift in DMSO-d6 is about 12.5,and the chemical shift of the hydrogen on the methylene group is about 2.5. I think if the reaction succeed, the chemical shift of methylene group may be different.

I am currently attempting to react glutaric acid with NHS using DCC as a catalyst, which should yield a portion of the desired product.

DCC is not the correct reagent in this reaction, you need a nucleophilic catalyst, DCC is not used this way. But I am happy for you, the reaction has probably worked, GREAT!

Sponsored Links