May 19, 2024, 01:27:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to do these chemistry questions that were on my test?{calorimetry} {density}  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Nightwolf22

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
These were on my test and I got both wrong! Please help, I want to get how to do it soo bad! Thanks in advance! Please be clear in explaining your answers and how you got them!

1: Let's say you have a container that holds 1000mL of water that is at a temperature of 23.44*C. If you have 15.50g of each of the metals listed above and want to raise the temperature of the water to 25.94*C, how high do you have to raise the temperature of each of the metals to accomplish that change in temperature?

Metals Heat Capacity (J/gK)
Aluminum 0.904
Iron 0.473

2: A student went into the lab to find the density of a piece of lead. He measured the mass and measured the starting volume 12.250ml and ending volume 22.500ml by using Archimedes principle. Unfortunately, he had mercury in the graduated cylinder (13.534 g/mL). He forgot to write down the mass that he recorded, but remembered that the relative percent error for the trial was 4.97%.
Density of lead= 11.345g/mL
(I think there are two answers)

*MOD Edit -- add useful title*
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:08:19 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to do these chemistry questions that were on my test?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:21:45 AM »
It doesn't work this way. You show your approach and then we tell you where you went wrong.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links