Chemistry Forums for Students > High School Chemistry Forum

In what order should I learn Chemistry?

(1/2) > >>

perniciousNeurasthenia:
I'm a student in a humanities-oriented school. We first had Chemistry in the first year of high school, after middle school. After that year, we didn't have Chemistry anymore. I decided to keep learning Chemistry by myself, and though there is a lot of material available both online and in local libraries I simply don't know where to start.
In my school, we learned atomic structure and models and chemical nomenclature before moving on to balancing equations, which is the topic I'm most interested in. If I recall correctly, we balanced equations for oxides, salts, hydroxides, and acids. I never had trouble understanding these topics, so I don't believe I need to relearn everything. However, I would definitely appreciate some advice on how to continue. Are there any specific textbooks you'd recommend? Or websites I could use? (I'm not very fond of Khan Academy; the narrator's voice gets on my nerves.) Even just an outline of what I should learn would be enough.
Thank you.

Borek:
Basically any general chemistry textbook is a good starting place.

cosmonaut:
I agree, start with any gen chem book, possibly college level.  As a somewhat recent college grad, high school chem and college gen chem are similar but college gen chem goes more in depth.  One thing is the nuclear chem portion.  It is fun and interesting, but unless you're planning on working for Los Alamos or other industry/academic nuclear industry I'd lightly skim it.  It is fun though.

Next I'd go to O-chem.  This is where the magic is.  I'd say pKas are you're friend here.  I used Francis Carey Organic Chemistry 7th Ed. way back in the day(~ '08/09).

Good Luck  :)

AWK:
Check:
http://www.chem1.com/acad/webtext/virtualtextbook.html

sgojja:
hello,
I am a postgrad student in chemistry. Having read a lot of books, i believe, series of books by Horia Metiu is really nice. when i have trouble understanding anything i look for the reference in his books and 70% of the time it works. About the pattern, i think, it is useful to divide the syllabus in parts, if u are studying thermodynamics you need to couple it with Electrochemistry and kinetics to boost understanding. I am using the same practice myself!
If u have some original thought/problem in understanding and u want to compute things yourself instead of using the data given in the text, i would highly recommend you to use data from CRC handbook of thermophysical data and derive relations among quantities yourself using excel. it directly puts stuff in your permanent memory because u struggle finding a way out.
sgojja

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version