May 13, 2024, 01:03:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility conversions  (Read 1548 times)

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Solubility conversions
« on: November 24, 2015, 11:07:33 AM »
Hi I'm looking up several different solubilities of organic acids however in the literature the solubilities are always in mole fraction. I want to know what they are in g/ml. I understand that mole fraction is the number of moles of the acid divided by the total number of moles including the solvent. Eg 1g tartaric acid in 10g water is 0.00666/0.5622 = 0.01185. However when the value is given in literature it doesn't mention the volume of solvent used. Im sure there must be a method of converting the final mole fraction back to mass per unit volume but im not sure how. Any help would be appreciated. I just need a method and then I can work them out for myself. thanks.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +297/-12
Re: Solubility conversions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:19:47 AM »
You dont need to be told the volume of solvent, as long as you know the density, which is well known for common solvents. Suppose the solubility is 0.02 mol fraction. Suppose you have 1 mol of solution. You have 0.02 mol solute. How many g solute? - easy if you know the MW. 0.98 mol solvent - how many g solvent? How many ml solvent? - easy if you know the density. So how many g solute per ml solvent?

Sponsored Links