May 17, 2024, 03:28:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reverse Osmosis storage tank - previously held annatto food colouring  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Dewi_Sant

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi - Please bear with me whilst I try and explain my question - I have added as much other possibly relevant info as I can:-
Other than the general tests I carry out on the water of my tropical saltwater marine aquarium - PH - Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate, calcium, and hardness etc I am a complete novice as regards chemistry - I started  with a 4 foot x 2 foot tank but the fish have outgrown this tank  so I have just installed a 9 foot x 3 foot one - when using the 4 foot tank 2 x 10 gallon containers was plenty for the regular water changes required - My R.O. unit can only process 50 gallon a day maximum - now as this tank plus the sump require 500 gallons to fill I needed a far bigger storage tank for the RO water so I purchased a 1,000 litre plastic container that was from a cheese factory - it had contained a food colouring called Annatto (E160B) Extract - Double strength - there is plenty of information on it through Google if you are chemically conversant but 2 a thicko like me it looks like a minefield - now there is a warning label on the container that states *Irritating to eyes and skin - contains Potassium Hydroxide* now with what do I need to wash this tank out with that would destroy any residue of the colouring extract - once it fills with the RO water I will be adding saltwater crystals to a SG of 1.026 and another chemical 'Propper PH 8.4'  and it will be heated to 25 deg C - any of which could possibly cause a reaction  to any annatto residue left or to the marine fish and crustacions

Any help/advice would be much appreciated - Dewi

harnessk

The residue in the  container is most likely not that concentrated or you would have never been given it.  I would start by giving it a good blast with a garden hose or shower to remove most of whatever is in there.  The problem lies with the annatto.  It is oil soluble in most cases, and coming form a cheese factory I could almost guarantee this is the case.  So, you're going to have to get hold of a good soapy cleaner and scrub it really well.  Then go back to the garden hose and get rid of the soap.  Keep doing this until you're satisfied that it's clean.

Offline Dewi_Sant

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Harnessk
Thanks for the reply - as the tank has only a 4 inch cap on it it is difficult to scrub out - I have hosed it out but with the water shortage at present I feel awkward about wasting it - we at present have no restrictions but I have already filled it to overflowing once then let it out -

Is there no way I can tell if it is actually free of the stuff - what is potassium hydroxide and how many ppm would be dangerous to the livestock?

Are there any other 'nasties' I need to be careful of in there?

Could I for instance scrub it out and then rinse it out - then send a sample off somewhere for testing?
Thanks in anticipation of your help
Dewi

Sponsored Links