May 17, 2024, 01:22:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Investigatory Project: how to perform an experiment  (Read 6756 times)

Offline crispypatty

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Investigatory Project: how to perform an experiment
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »
can someone please help me understand how to perform this experiment?

DISTILLATION OF WATER FROM AN AQUEOUS SOLUTION USING A DISPOSABLE APPARATUS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATERIALSChemicals:
crushed ice solution to be distilled--cranberry or apple juice, coke, orange soda, or colored aqueous solution
Equipment:
empty soda can--Pepsi, 7-Up, etc.
4 to 8-oz clear glass jar with narrow opening at top larger jar or other container to hold jar above 4-In x 12-in piece of aluminum foil
Bunsen or alcohol burner
ring stand
iron rings wire screen

PROCEDURE
Rinse the soda can clean.
Add the solution to be distilled until the can is l/3 to l/2 full. Boiling chips may be added if available, but are by no means necessary.
Mount the soda can above the burner on a wire screen supported by an iron ring (attached to the ring stand). Mount the second iron ring around and near the top of the can to prevent it from tipping over.
Insert the smaller glass jar into the larger one and surround liberally with an Ice-rich slush bath.
Prepare an air-cooled condenser made of aluminum foil. This is best done by wrapping the foil lengthwise around a dowel rod or broom handle, taking care to seal the seam that runs the length of the foil tube by making several folds of foil neatly pressed back on itself. (Failure to do this will result in. poor efficiency during distillation.)
Fit one end of the condenser into the opening at the top of the soda can. Gently bend the other end down and Insert it into the smaller glass jar which serves as a receiver flask for the distillation.
Heat the soda can and its contents with a steady flame. As the solution boils, some vapor can be seen escaping from around the mouth of the can. Still, enough vapor makes its way through the air-cooled condenser so that condensation soon occurs In the chilled receiver flask.

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: Investigatory Project: how to perform an experiment
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
I'm not being sarcastic or dense here, but I don't understand your question. Well, I do understand your question and I believe you have provided the answer.

You asked : can someone please help me understand how to perform this experiment?

And the answer is: Carry out the procedure you typed below the question

Clive

Offline crispypatty

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 05:25:38 AM »
sorry, i didn't make my question clear...what i meant to ask is how to perform certain steps like making a condenser because i don't quite get how...

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »
sorry, i didn't make my question clear...what i meant to ask is how to perform certain steps like making a condenser because i don't quite get how...
Ok. Can you republish the procedure and highlight the parts you are having difficulty with?

The forum editign software allows you to select and highlight in bold or colour any text you want to draw attention to.

Clive

Sponsored Links