May 11, 2024, 04:57:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Videos of my experimental setups.  (Read 5012 times)

Offline I.B.D.

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Videos of my experimental setups.
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:28:32 AM »
Here are a couple of videos of a couple of Chemistry Fairs, and the setups which earned a friend and me, joint first place two times in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3iZpQsbNQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36rUvh2V0eU

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer, and I'd welcome any suggestions.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Videos of my experimental setups.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »
Not knowing what is what of what it is hard to comment.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline I.B.D.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:06:14 AM »
My apologies. If you look at the descriptions, there you will find what all is about. To summarize, the setup exploring halogens consists of a vial, in which chlorine gas is synthesized, which is then bubbled through solutions of KBr and KI. Chlorine displaces the less active halogens and thus colors the solution and imparts a beautiful smell to the room. :)
The setup about ethyne starts with the flask, in which we react CaC2 with water and we bubble the C2H2 through a solution of KMnO4 and a solution of bromine in water. Both solutions are discolored.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 05:15:37 AM »
One size fits all ;) Nice idea. Perhaps adding some solutions that will NOT react will be of additional value? NaF comes to mind, although it will be difficult to see that it didn't react, but it will show nicely halogens reactivity.

But for the videos to be of educational value you may want to reshot them with a white (or at least neutral background) and get rid of people comments. Both surroundings and sound are distracting. I understand they were not shot with that in mind.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline I.B.D.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:26:40 AM »
I have been planning to properly reshoot them, and add a narrative explaining the reactions taking place. Alas, I am short on time currently, for similar reasons.

P.S. The other day I made my first organic synthesis! I made acetanilide. My yield was a bit low, though. I suspect because I had to change one of the beakers, because it turned out to be too small, AND I got distracted while boiling in the beginning, so part of the water evaporated and my flask was barely steamed. But then again the range in which my sample melted, was like, 0.5 oC, so at least it was pure :P.

Sponsored Links