May 07, 2024, 07:20:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why isn't [water] included in the ion-product expression for water?  (Read 7884 times)

Offline mahela007

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The common answer (and the one in my text book) to this is that the "concentration" of the water in the solution varies so little that it can be considered constant and is therefore incorporated into the equilibrium constant.
However, in writing Kc expressions for other reactions, the reason for not including a liquid or solid in the equilibrium expression is that the concentration of a solid or a pure liquid cannot change.
This seems to imply that in the case of the auto-ionization of water, the concentration of water changes but it ignored and that in other reactions, the concentration of pure water does not change at all.
Have I understood this correctly or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Offline ContinuousProcess

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Why isn't [water] included in the ion-product expression for water?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:33:58 AM »
Ya you pretty much got it right.

But the concentration of water can't change, it's the number of particles of dissociated water that changes. Water is still the solvent, so its concentration cannot change. (Technically concentration of the solution does change, but so little solvent converts into 'solute' that the overall volume of solvent is the same in all practicality).

Concentration describes the amount of solute in reference to an amount of solvent; which is why it is irrelevant in pure liq+sol phase.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Why isn't [water] included in the ion-product expression for water?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:49:52 AM »
This was discussed many times, please search the forum.

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=43091.0

ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links