May 05, 2024, 09:24:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please give me some suggestions---qualification for Postdoc job application  (Read 4356 times)

Offline kamiyu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-7
Hi everyone

I am working in the field of purely organic OLED field (design+synthesis+characterization)

I am in the final stage of my PhD in the UK (University of St Andrews, about one year to graduate)

Due to some personal life goals, I will apply for postdoc job, which MUST be in Canada.

At the moment, I have published two first-author papers: Dalton Transactions and Chemistry of Materials. I also have two second-author publications. I have four patents.

I have one first-author paper submitted. I have one first-author review written which will be submitted (otherwise it will become outdated because my field is so fast). I will have other several papers, but due to collaboration politics, I am not sure my position in the paper.

Do you suggest my odds of having a decent postdoc position in Canada, in the field of organic electronics??

Thanks

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
I know nothing about materials chemistry, but you have plenty of publications. Chemistry Materials has a high impact factor as well. I expect you'll be fine. Start approaching groups now and ask about opportunities to write grants with them to secure you own funding (this might take about a year). Canada is big, but if you're set on one particular place, waiting for advertised positions is a gamble.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline kamiyu

Thanks, Dan. I also need to thank you for your previous reply. They are all very helpful.

I think I target only postdoc position whose salary comes from PI's grant. I won't apply for postdoc fellowship.

Yes, you are right, I must start my preparing my next move now

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
I think I target only postdoc position whose salary comes from PI's grant. I won't apply for postdoc fellowship.
That is a mistake. You should apply for your own funding. First, saying you will do this makes you an attractive post-doc candidate. Second, even just establishing a record of applying for your own grants (regardless of whether you are awarded them - which obviously is even better, for many reasons) will help you later on - it will start to get your name out there and build your independent network, it will give you practice writing grants at a time when you can afford to make errors and have the guidance of a mentor, it will force you to begin thinking of your own research interests, it is something you can put on job applications or discuss in interviews. 
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
Corribus offers you very good advice in not limiting yourself from applying for your own funding. There are definite benefits of going that way.

I am from Ontario, Canada. I did my PhD at University of Guelph in Food Science (hour from Toronto).  I would look into MITACS ACCELERATE program (MITACS ELEVATE is only for Canadian citizens or permanent residents). Another benefit of going this route is that in addition to more academic freedom (having much more input into your project), you could also have the potential to earn more money since you will be alotted extra money for supplies and other expenses with remainder being your salary so if you are frugal and use your supplies wisely, you could earn more than most post-docs.

https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/accelerate#postdoc

Also explore the NSERC grants for post docs. Some will be only for Canadians/permanent residents and others for everyone so you need to explore, but there are many to choose from, and as usual the sciences have much more funding opportunities than non-science programs.

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PD-NP/PDF-BP_eng.asp   (only Canadian citizens/permanent residents)

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=nserc%20postdoctoral%20fellowship&oq=NSERC%20post&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.3935j0j8

My best advice as far as convincing a prof to take you for a post doc (in addition to making him aware of your publications & patents), is once you find the prof who shares the same research interests as you, show him/her how enthusiastic you are about this area of research by your passion, knowledge and insight, and secretly hold the attitude that if he doesn't take me on as a post doc it will truly be his/her loss and don't let that rejection slow you down from finding the next best prof in your area. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:08:53 PM by Furanone »
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline kamiyu

Many Thanks to Corribus and Furanone for your valuable advices!

I do know the plus of bringing my own funding to the institution as this will help on my future tenure-track position application.

However, indeed I am not very much into academia (though I do not dislike research work)

The prime consideration of mine is I need a proof of being an "employee" in Canadian university. I am worried that if I bring my own funding (fellowship), my postdoc will be viewed as "trainee"

Whether your status is an "employee" or "trainee" depends on source of funding for your Postdoc, and there are many other factors too.

Sponsored Links