May 16, 2024, 06:54:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ozone structure  (Read 8021 times)

Offline Dory

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
Ozone structure
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:25:48 AM »
Something doesn't up. Oxygen has 6 electrons, so one atom ought to be lacking an electron when forming an ozone molecule.

Here:

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Re: Ozone structure
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:19:55 PM »
The Lewis structure for ozone should have a total of 18 electrons (bonding and lone pairs included).  Your structure seems to have a bit too many (?). Make sure everything has an octet  and remember, oxygen cannot expand its octet. 

Offline Dory

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
If you count the dots you'll see it's exactly 18! However, since it's only single-bonded it's lacking an electron. How does it make sense? Chemistry is a pseudoscience :P

Offline Dory

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
Since you guys can't answer this question I have piled it up as "Evidence Against Science" which you can view here:

http://theevidenceagainstscience.blogspot.com/2010/09/ozone-paradox.html

God is the only explanation we need. God bless,

-Dory

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
If you count the dots you'll see it's exactly 18! However, since it's only single-bonded it's lacking an electron. How does it make sense? Chemistry is a pseudoscience :P

If you look at your proposed structure, you can see that you have the right number of electrons. However, the oxygen in the middle seems to violate the octet rule.

Offline ardbeg

• Mole Snacks: +7/-3
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
hahaha nice trolling, dory.

Offline Dory

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:34 PM »

If you look at your proposed structure, you can see that you have the right number of electrons. However, the oxygen in the middle seems to violate the octet rule.

2 of the atoms, in fact, violate the octet rule-- and thank you for proving my point (link above)

Unless you are proposing that the middle oxygen has "magically" donated one oxygen to the atom it's single-bonded to.

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 01:51:59 AM »
I think you don't understand the concept of covalent bonding or you don't know what the octet rule is. Why do the two other oxygen atoms violate the octet rule? Each oxygen atom meets the rule because they share the electrons which is the concept of covalent bonding.

Offline Natalia

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • I wish I knew what I knew and who I was.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
Well, sorry to bring this up after so long, but I found this topic rather interesting.

As you noticed, one of the O atoms (in the sketch, the left one) was left with an incomplete octet.
But why should it be the left one and not the right one? All oxygen atoms have the same properties.
According to your sketch, we have two "non-central" oxygen atoms, of which one has a full octet and one hasn't.
What if both oxygen atoms were in the same, intermediate condition?  :P
Then we would have all three oxygen atoms with seven valence electrons, and one electron fluctuating between the three. Something like all oxygen atoms are "satisfied with an octet!
Consider the structure of ozone; it's not linear, but rather v-shaped. Does this help?
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure it's not in order to enjoy ourselves... --L.Wittgenstein

Offline Natalia

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • I wish I knew what I knew and who I was.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »
And about the "two" structures you mentioned in the link... Scientist do not suggest that ozone atoms are either like one or the other picture. They are both pictures at the same time.... Look at this picture, to be more clear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ozone-1,3-dipole.png
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure it's not in order to enjoy ourselves... --L.Wittgenstein

Offline Twigg

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »
The Lewis structure isn't everything. It can't explain the empirical data which shows that the bonds in ozone are identical in length. You can come up with a perfectly plausible model for ozone using hybridization theory and a few notions from molecular orbital theory. You can visualize in each bond sp hybrid orbitals forming a sigma bond in the x axis, py orbitals forming a pi bond in the y axis, pz orbitals likewise forming pi bonds in the z axis, and a hybrid sp orbital lone pair on the farther half of the x axis in each terminal atom. The only catch is that you have to imagine overlapping pi bonds in the y and z axes, which is acceptable from a molecular orbital perspective.

Sponsored Links