May 21, 2024, 04:45:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Combustible  (Read 4489 times)

Offline Goala

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Combustible
« on: September 18, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »
How do I know if a compound causes combustibles to burn?

I was wondering if Sodium Hydoxide causes combustibles to burn.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Combustible
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »
You would have to be able to predict possible chemical reactions, and if they were exothermic enough, and understand the ignition point of excess reactant or possible products.  That's lots of work.  You should probably try to simplify the original question so its easier to work with.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Goala

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
Well, I need to fill out safety sheets for the chemicals I use in the lab, and one box asks: Will the compound in question cause combustibles to burn?

I then have to look at the MSDS to answer the question with a YES or NO. The two compounds I was unsure about was sodium hydroxide, and of potassium hydrogen phthalate.

Because you said something about predicting possible chemical reactions, if one of the reagents was an oxidizing agent... they would cause combustibles to burn, no?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
If its a strong enough oxidizer, it will.  The MSDS usually says if a reagent will ignite combustibles on contact.  Its an important thing to know for a warehouse  or a shipper with the product in bulk, to know what happens if a major spill occurs.  I would guess this sort of thing is determined experimentally to fill out the MSDS.  Or has been determined, maybe centuries ago, and is now part of common knowledge.

Offline Goala

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Here is the link to the MSDS:

http://ccinfoweb.ccohs.ca/msds/pdf/fisher_client/e2/6261349.pdf

If you could let me know where I can find whether or not if the compound in question causes combustibles to burn that would be much appreciated because I couldn't find it! :(

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Great.  Have you read the document?  What does it say about fire?  It says many things in many places.

Offline Goala

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »
Great.  Have you read the document?  What does it say about fire?  It says many things in many places.

Yes, I've read the document around three times!

I did a quick "ctrl F" and saw a few instances where it mentions fire. It says sodium hydroxide is not a fire hazard but nowhere do I see anything about causing combustibles to burn!

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »
I did a quick "ctrl F" and saw a few instances where it mentions fire. It says sodium hydroxide is not a fire hazard but nowhere do I see anything about causing combustibles to burn!

Well there's your answer then it does not otherwise they would have said it does.  What do you expect them to put that it does not cause combustibles to burn, that it does not cause cancer, that it is not a mutagen etc etc.  On the MSDS they list the actual hazards not everything it does not do.  If a material has the property you are worried about it would be listed in section "10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY"

Offline Goala

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:33:55 AM »
Excellent! Thank you kindly!

Offline Goala

Burn
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:50:02 AM »
I was comparing the MSDS of 0.1M Sodium Hydroxide, and Solid Sodium Hydroxide in pellet form. I was surprised to see that in the MSDS for the 0.1M solution there was no mention of the solution causing burns under the 2.Hazards Identification section:

http://ccinfoweb.ccohs.ca/msds/pdf/fisher_client/e2/6261349.pdf

On the other hand, when looking at the Sodium Hydroxide pellet form MSDS, I saw that the pellet form of NaOH does cause burns.

http://ccinfoweb.ccohs.ca/msds/pdf/fisher_client/e2/6293314.pdf

Is this normal!?

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: Burn
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
One is quite a dilute solution while the other is the active solid why do you think they should have the same hazards?

Offline Goala

Re: Burn
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 06:59:09 AM »
One is quite a dilute solution while the other is the active solid why do you think they should have the same hazards?

Touché!

Sponsored Links