May 11, 2024, 11:08:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why the electron affinity measures the tendency to attract electrons?  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Hasclepio

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all!

I know the definition of electron affinity (energy)  and i know how it varies across the periodic table but do not understand why a higher affinity implies that electrons tend to capture, what is the reason?

Thank you very much :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
What is the formal definition of electron affinity?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Hasclepio

What is the formal definition of electron affinity?

The electron affinity of an atom or molecule is defined as the amount of energy released when an electron is added to a neutral atom or molecule to form a negative ion.

But I already know the definition. I have doubts about a qualitative idea derived from that definition: why a negative energy (affinity) means that the atom attracts other electrons with more "force" than another atom with less affinity?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Things happen because they are energetically favourable (i.e. energy is released). If you measure how energetically favourable something is, you have measured how easily it happens. The more energetically favourable it is, the more easily it happens.

Offline Hasclepio

Things happen because they are energetically favourable (i.e. energy is released). If you measure how energetically favourable something is, you have measured how easily it happens. The more energetically favourable it is, the more easily it happens.

And what are the physical laws that support your writing? Entropy and thermodynamics?

thank you very much

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Yes, this is thermodynamics (of which entropy is a part).

Sponsored Links