May 13, 2024, 06:50:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction Ratio of HNO3 with CuCl  (Read 5252 times)

Fizzley

Reaction Ratio of HNO3 with CuCl
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:53:59 PM »
Hi. I'm performing an experiment wherein I do a redox titration of copper (I) chloride (CuCl) with nitric acid (HNO3).

I'm placing 20mL of 1M copper (I) chloride in a beaker below the burette, and titrating it with 1M nitric acid. My question is, in order to completely oxidize the 20mL of 1M copper +1 to copper +2, how much nitric acid would you expect to need to add?

The two half-cells and complete reaction are:

3(Cu+ + Cl- --> Cu2+ + e- + Cl-)
NO3- + 4H+ + 3e- --> NO(g) + 2H2O

3Cu+ + 3Cl- + NO3- + 4H+ --> 3Cu2+ + 3Cl- + NO(g) + 2H2O

So, there are, as I see it, two possible ratios. The first, if NO3 is considered the limiting reagent, would be 3:1 mL of copper to mL of nitric acid. But on the other hand, it could be H+ which limits it, in which case the ratio would be 3:4.

However, I have heard that the 4H+ in the redox half-cell only means the presence of acid, and it is therefore not a limiting reagent.

Any thoughts/answers would be greatly appreciated. :-)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 06:54:58 PM by Fizzley »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Reaction Ratio of HNO3 with CuCl
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 07:35:50 PM »
Strange idea, IIRC nitric acid doesn't react stoichiometrically as oxidizing agent, depending on concentration and pH it gives a mixture of oxides as products, at least during metallic copper dissolution.

If there is an excess of other acid H+ shouldn't matter. If the titrated solution is neutral, H+ will be limiting reagent.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links