May 13, 2024, 04:19:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to get this PEG  (Read 3044 times)

Offline avefenix85

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to get this PEG
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:48:13 PM »
Please, I need help of this forum in order to figure out how to obtain this or the commercial product name of it.

Polyethylene glycol-mono-n-dodecyl/tridecyl/tetradecyl/-pentadecylether as substance mixture of compositions with 4 to 25 ethylene oxide units

Or any forum member that could advice me where I could get help from in OC California.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to get this PEG
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 07:30:36 AM »
Where did you hear I it, and what do you need it for?  It's likely sold by some chemical supplier, but cost, volume required, availability are really up in the air at this point.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
It's a variant of a polyethylene glycol, modified to have a pair of linear alkanes at its ends instead of hydrogen. This makes it less viscous (at least if the alkanes were short) and less hygroscopic. Though, I had not seen such long alkanes up to now; maybe it's a solid at room temperature, similar to wax or stearine, or of fatty consistence. I vaguely remember that similar compounds serve as defoamers or non-foaming wetting agents in water-based hydraulic fluids, but could be quite wrong.

Check the usual polyethylene glycol (PEG) suppliers, as they use to offer the variants too. Producing it from standard PEG would be easy too, if necessary and if your quantity fits some chemical company.

4 to 25 ethylene oxide, that's vague! The melting point, viscosity etc will vary a lot. That's probably not the definition of one product but rather a family of products.

Offline avefenix85

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:05:44 PM »
Arkon, thanks for your help. For now, we just need a small amount (500ml) in order to test it in a cleaning/decontamination process.

Enthalpy, so in your opinion where would be the best source or way to get this product made?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 04:26:07 AM »
Let produce it would mean: buy a polyethylene glycol of the desired mean length (they are mixes), a primary alcohol (or mix of) C12 to C15 long, and let some chemistry lab make the ether of it, possibly at a university. Let's see what the chemists here say about how easy it is.

If you don't know how many ethylene oxide units are best for you, just let make a few variants.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 04:28:02 AM »
It's a variant of a polyethylene glycol, modified to have a pair of linear alkanes at its ends

No, only at one end, misread.

Offline avefenix85

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 01:59:24 PM »
Enthalpy, thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate that.

Sponsored Links