May 28, 2024, 03:57:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about Stereochemistry of Diels-Alder  (Read 4239 times)

Offline harami

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about Stereochemistry of Diels-Alder
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:28:18 AM »
I understand the endo rule and what contributes to the stereochemistry there, it is the diene that confuses me. I know that cis produces the same side substituents (pointing up or down) and trans pointing down or up. Is there any preference towards which points in what direction?

For example, if you have a cis, how do you know if they both point up or down, or would you get enantiomers where one has both pointing up, and both has both pointing down?

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re: Question about Stereochemistry of Diels-Alder
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 02:11:55 AM »
Could you draw what you mean?  There are two alkenes in the diene, so you have to think about the geometry of both of them, so saying the "cis diene" doesn't really mean anything....

Offline ch3m_boy

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
  • Lips of an Angel
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 12:48:11 AM »
I got a diff kind of stereochem question.

Basically, in general, if my teacher asks what are the major products of some reaction,

1.)  If the reagents and conditions are not stereoselective, will there always exactly 4 or 3 products, 2 enatiomers for the syn addition and 2 for the anti additon, or if one of the molecules is meso, there will only be 3..  Is that true???

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:52:40 PM »
For the Diels-Alder reaction you would expect to see two sets of racemic diastereomers, four stereoisomers in total.  More are possible in some cases where the dienophile and the diene are not symmetric because you could have "head-to-head" and "head-to-tail" orientations.  In that case I think you could get 8 stereoisomers.

You're right that for each meso diastereomer you will have one fewer total stereoisomers.  Note that in the D-A of cyclopentadiene and maleic anhydride, there are only two possible stereoisomers, then endo and exo, both of which are meso.

Sponsored Links