Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum for Graduate Students and Professionals

Explosive decomposition of 1,5-Hexadiene-3,4-di-O-mesylate

<< < (3/3)

rolnor:
OK. If you have nitrogroups you get a lot of energy if you move oxygen to carbon from nitrogen and release nitrogen+carbondioxide, this is will not happen when moving oxygen from sulphur to carbon or the other way around.

Orcio_87:

--- Quote ---I think sulphur is not possible to oxidize, nor carbon really, not in any explosive way. What would be the products from the explosion?
--- End quote ---
In therm of the energy I think you are right. But maybe it is not about the energy or rather the amount of the forming gases.

--- Quote --- If you have nitrogroups you get a lot of energy if you move oxygen to carbon from nitrogen and release nitrogen+carbondioxide, this is will not happen when moving oxygen from sulphur to carbon or the other way around.
--- End quote ---
Lot of energy from moving -NO2 oxygen to carbon - true. But - moving oxygen from -SO3H to the carbon.... - also true, because these are completely different bonds.

But - the sulfur is dont important here. Rather - how many moles of O2 are consumed and how many moles of gases will be the products (for example - hydrazine vs ethylene).

rolnor:
No, there is no large energy change reacting SO3 with carbon to form CO2 and sulphur. You can use nitric acid as oxidant in rocket-fuel, but not sulphuric acid. You can not substitute potassium nitrate in gun powder with sodium sulphate

MOTOBALL:
I would like to return this thread (after it being hijacked into a phys. chem. discussion) back to the original post.

Does anyone have any awareness of vigourous/explosive decomposition of O-methanesulphonyl compounds?

Regards,

MOTOBALL

Babcock_Hall:
I regret bringing up oxygen balance, which turned out to be an unfruitful tangent.  No, I have not heard of this phenomenon previously.  Given that mesylates are a common derivative, I wonder why.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version